Cupramine added

shivram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone ,
As i am facing ICH/velvet in my 200g reef aquarium, my tank is 2 months old with live rocks and fish and live sand , as i was not able to take all fish and live rock out for many reasons i added cupramine to my main tank with live rock and after a day i notice brown patches in my live rock , is my rock absorbing copper ?? Or is it getting mature ??? If its absorbing how do i remove it after treatment
20180721_132413.jpeg

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the coloration on the rock, could be the copper is killing some algae, and its appearing as a brown color.
Couple things to keep in mind, rock and sand will absorb that copper like crazy, and can sometimes leech it back out without warning, you need to be REALLY careful with your copper dose, I highly recommend the Hanna Copper Checker, its the best piece of equipment I got myself for my disease and treatment arsenal. Without this, you will almost certainly over/underdose copper, both of which are very bad.
As for removing the copper, you can you polyfilter (its my chemical filtration of choice) I find it works significantly better than regular carbon for removing copper.

EDIT: I found your previous post, id also like to add my .02 and say this is most likely velvet, and you would need to run the copper for up too 6 weeks to fully run the parasites lifecycle out and kill it. I do not recommend running copper for that long with fish. If there is also any Ich present after your treatment for velvet, you'll still have a secondary infection to deal with, unless you run copper for 76 days, which again, cannot be done with fish, your going to need to do a fallow period at some point in this process regardless.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, best of luck from me to you with these fish, velvet sucks!

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the coloration on the rock, could be the copper is killing some algae, and its appearing as a brown color.
Couple things to keep in mind, rock and sand will absorb that copper like crazy, and can sometimes leech it back out without warning, you need to be REALLY careful with your copper dose, I highly recommend the Hanna Copper Checker, its the best piece of equipment I got myself for my disease and treatment arsenal. Without this, you will almost certainly over/underdose copper, both of which are very bad.
As for removing the copper, you can you polyfilter (its my chemical filtration of choice) I find it works significantly better than regular carbon for removing copper.

EDIT: I found your previous post, id also like to add my .02 and say this is most likely velvet, and you would need to run the copper for up too 6 weeks to fully run the parasites lifecycle out and kill it. I do not recommend running copper for that long with fish. If there is also any Ich present after your treatment for velvet, you'll still have a secondary infection to deal with, unless you run copper for 76 days, which again, cannot be done with fish, your going to need to do a fallow period at some point in this process regardless.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, best of luck from me to you with these fish, velvet sucks!

^^^This^^^

IMHO, IF you are going to use copper it should be done only in a carefully controlled Hospital Tank, and NEVER in your main display. The only certain way to remove the copper from your formerly live rock (the copper will kill the denitrifying bacteria that makes it live) and sand will be to replace it with new rock and sand. (assuming you intend to have any inverts or corals). If you are going fish only you will be good to go.

Is it possible to remove the copper from your system? Certainly, but it will require a large amount of cuprisorb/polyfilter/carbon considering the size of your tank. (I'd use all 3 together) It will also take at least several months to accomplish this.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is an algaecide, the algae in the tank is dying off. Actually a great side effect, your tank will be sparkling when you are done. Use the seachem copper test kit, daily. Depending on the amount and porosity of the rocks, you could end up dosing as much as 2 to 3 times the recommended dosage. Test before you add, then test the next day, repeat until you reach therapeutic level, I have no problem going up to .7 especially if I'm dealing with velvet; as long as everyone is tolerating of course. During the summer my tanks are using a huge amount of top off, so this will dilute you copper concentration as well. Test, test, test; and make adjustments to maintain.

When you are ready to remove the copper, use cuprazorb; it may take a few days to reach zero; I've never had it take as much as a solid week. I do use a reactor with the cuprizorb that does make it more efficient. Run the cuprizorb at least 2 weeks after you register zero, water changes help as well, the rocks and anything that absorbed the copper will be released back into the water column to be removed. After 2 weeks or so I use a poly filter to mop up any residuals, the real poly filter not a knock off; it will turn blue if there is still copper in the system. Usually within a month or so, it's as if it never happened.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shivram

shivram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is an algaecide, the algae in the tank is dying off. Actually a great side effect, your tank will be sparkling when you are done. Use the seachem copper test kit, daily. Depending on the amount and porosity of the rocks, you could end up dosing as much as 2 to 3 times the recommended dosage. Test before you add, then test the next day, repeat until you reach therapeutic level, I have no problem going up to .7 especially if I'm dealing with velvet; as long as everyone is tolerating of course. During the summer my tanks are using a huge amount of top off, so this will dilute you copper concentration as well. Test, test, test; and make adjustments to maintain.

When you are ready to remove the copper, use cuprazorb; it may take a few days to reach zero; I've never had it take as much as a solid week. I do use a reactor with the cuprizorb that does make it more efficient. Run the cuprizorb at least 2 weeks after you register zero, water changes help as well, the rocks and anything that absorbed the copper will be released back into the water column to be removed. After 2 weeks or so I use a poly filter to mop up any residuals, the real poly filter not a knock off; it will turn blue if there is still copper in the system. Usually within a month or so, it's as if it never happened.
Thanks a lot sir .... was very fed up... reading all the comments im felling little happy..mm thank you everyone ....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back