Cupramine and PhosBan(or other algae treatment)?

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting a lot of algae on the glass of my QT and would like some info on what i can use to treat/prevent it, while also maintaining the 0.5ppm level of Cupramine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting a lot of algae on the glass of my QT and would like some info on what i can use to treat/prevent it, while also maintaining the 0.5ppm level of Cupramine?
These complexed coppers react with some unexpected compounds (mostly reducing agents). I don't think Phosban would be an issue, but dechlorinators, ammonia removers and formalin are all suspect.

I have to wonder though - since this is a QT, why not just turn the lights off (or only turn them on when feeding)? The fish just need enough ambient light to see their food.

Jay

OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These complexed coppers react with some unexpected compounds (mostly reducing agents). I don't think Phosban would be an issue, but dechlorinators, ammonia removers and formalin are all suspect.

I have to wonder though - since this is a QT, why not just turn the lights off (or only turn them on when feeding)? The fish just need enough ambient light to see their food.

Jay
two reasons actually...

First, and foremost, I believe the algae issue to be largely coming from the light spill of neighboring tank and its 3x Red Sea ReefLED90s

Secondly, my "Quarantine" isn't like a basic cheap-o glass breeder with a HOB and piece of PVC in it. i'm quite proud of my QT, and soon intend to use it as a secondary DT. right now its a 40 gallon Recife ECO with a fourth Red Sea ReefLED90 running same schedule as DT, which i will be replacing this weekend with a Red Sea Reefer 170, and adding a fifth RL90. i need to acclimate two more fish over the next month or so, and once im done, it will get sand and rock and become a FOWLR for a couple of non-reef-safe fish(looking at you Angels!)

Back