Cupramine vs Hypo Salinity

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have tried both methods which did you find better ?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo salinity.This method seems less stressful for the fish and easier to maintain than a copper system.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to current forum.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with hyposalinity is hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist. Hypo also doesn't treat velvet, which can look similar to ich in the early stages. Copper treats both, and as far as I am aware there are no copper resistant strains of ich that have been proven to exist.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with hyposalinity is hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist. Hypo also doesn't treat velvet, which can look similar to ich in the early stages. Copper treats both, and as far as I am aware there are no copper resistant strains of ich that have been proven to exist.

Good to know Humblefish ! I figure I can always add copper if needed.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for copper, but I did hyposalinity since I didn't want to poison my fish. All my fish are now ich free and they never showed signs of stress. There is conflicting views on this, but Metroplex is a newer medicine that claims to treat ich, and can actually be fed to fish while in the reef tank, and doesn't hurt coral. I am using it to treat uronema and it saved my anthia :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is conflicting views on this, but Metroplex is a newer medicine that claims to treat ich, and can actually be fed to fish while in the reef tank, and doesn't hurt coral.

This is not directed at you but Seachem for stretching the truth ... Metroplex is 70% metronidazole, a med I am very familiar with and has been around for years. While there is some evidence that metro is useful for treating FW ich, there is none for Cryptocaryon.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back