Cure for melting zoas?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all the zoas in my tank, the most expensive ones start to melt. Came home today to see my macaws closed up with what appeared to be a film of something on it. Maybe a fungus, its not cyano. I blew it off and each polyp that had this on it looked very weak and almost as if i could rip it off just by blowing water on it. Is there anything i can dip this in to fix it? I have 1 left that is doing great but all others have this and they are on multiple plugs. I actually sold one to kevin and this happened to his yesterday and now today mine started. Any help would be great.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a iodine dip but usually once they get to that point it's no turning back.

Has anything changed in your routines with the tank? (Dosing, water changes, different carbon, etc)

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the iodine on the incinerators so we'll see tomorrow.

I am going to try to find Furan 2 tomorrow.
Anyone know if someone local has it?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the iodine on the incinerators so we'll see tomorrow.

I am going to try to find Furan 2 tomorrow.
Anyone know if someone local has it?
I probably have some packets laying around. I think I got it at Burtons or Pets supply plus. It's pretty common at the big box pet stores. If you need me to see if I can find a couple packets let me know and I will bring a few with me to work tomorrow.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it like a brown toned clear skin covering the polyps and eventually they just kind of shrivel up?
I've experienced that and lost most of my zoas and palys that way.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure, i saw it and blew it off right away and turned up the flow in my tank. I left right after that happened and just got back home and nothing new has formed.

Nothing has changed. Its just these 1 specific zoas of which are on 6 different plugs and 3 different locations in the tank. I have TONS of zoas and these are the only ones doing it. Im so upset, they were my absolute favorite (and most expensive). Just as bright as a lemon.

Im gonna iodine dip them now.

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it like a brown toned clear skin covering the polyps and eventually they just kind of shrivel up?
I've experienced that and lost most of my zoas and palys that way.
Jaime, What treatments did you try when that happened? I'll try PetSmart and Petland then head to AquaWorld if I have to. I need calibration fluids anyway.

Im not sure, i saw it and blew it off right away and turned up the flow in my tank. I left right after that happened and just got back home and nothing new has formed.

Nothing has changed. Its just these 1 specific zoas of which are on 6 different plugs and 3 different locations in the tank. I have TONS of zoas and these are the only ones doing it. Im so upset, they were my absolute favorite (and most expensive). Just as bright as a lemon.

Im gonna iodine dip them now.

Let us know if the iodine dip makes a difference. And if you find something o stop the progress.
Good Luck!

Kevin

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine did not seem to take care if the problem but i will say that they did not get any worse

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that things aren't looking any worse and possibly better. Iodine won't hurt zoas. At work I dip them in iodine when they come in and also while fragging. I've never seen adverse reactions.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that things aren't looking any worse and possibly better. Iodine won't hurt zoas. At work I dip them in iodine when they come in and also while fragging. I've never seen adverse reactions.

Thats exactly what I do, when I frag I put the cut pieces in Iodine. When using it as a dip is there a recommended time to keep them in the iodine? And I usually add enough so it's a dark dark brown color?

My rainbows are and have been doing fine. In fact i fragged more last night and they AMAZE me. All other zoas close up after being fragged for a long time, possibly a day or more, these rainbows open up fully after I glue them to the plug and put back in tank. They are so hardy! and grow fast as heck.

My macaws, no more fungus but still closed up.. I'm so upset. I had a few people reserve these and now I can't sell them.

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly what I do, when I frag I put the cut pieces in Iodine. When using it as a dip is there a recommended time to keep them in the iodine? And I usually add enough so it's a dark dark brown color?

My rainbows are and have been doing fine. In fact i fragged more last night and they AMAZE me. All other zoas close up after being fragged for a long time, possibly a day or more, these rainbows open up fully after I glue them to the plug and put back in tank. They are so hardy! and grow fast as heck.

My macaws, no more fungus but still closed up.. I'm so upset. I had a few people reserve these and now I can't sell them.

WOW. I was told 6 or 8 drops for 5 mins max. That seemed to work for me....... or it was dumb luck.

Kevin

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are tonight

20170223_221208.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back