OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bob I may take u up on that. Been trying to address this one thing at a time focusing on alk. It sounds like this my need a multi prong approach. Going to follow the recipe from Mr Farley. Trying to round up some ingredients. Currently only a few blue legs in there so I will play with additives. Still trying to decide on a skimmer so got time.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is very wrong with the chemistry in this tank. There's no way your magnesium should be 700 ppm. Alkalinity is also way, way off at 4 dKh. What is your salinity? How are you measuring salinity? What test kits are you using for alkalinity and magnesium? What is your calcium?

Personally, I would correct salinity if it's off (I suspect it is), then I would do a large water change. I know it's a big system, but Instant Ocean is only $50 for a 200 gallon box. You'd rather spend your money on corals, I understand, but this hobby is more about keeping water than it is about keeping fish or corals. You're not going to get anywhere by cutting corners with water quality.
Agreed this is a good learning experience to learn what to do before there are any sensitive fish or critters in there. My nano is pretty much on auto pilot given it size I don't really have to do much. Just softies.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is good, using a refratometer and an apex probe. Curing these rocks really spiked my calcium. I have added a $15 container of aqua forest magnesium and it barely moved my level. I trust what Bob is saying gonna need pounds magnitude. Gonna buy that bulk from Brenntag's chemical wholesalers.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is good, using a refratometer and an apex probe. Curing these rocks really spiked my calcium. I have added a $15 container of aqua forest magnesium and it barely moved my level. I trust what Bob is saying gonna need pounds magnitude. Gonna buy that bulk from Brenntag's chemical wholesalers.
I just checked with the on line calculator. with a 300g tank and raising 700ppm magnesium to 1350ppm requires 256.8 oz of Epsom salts, or 217oz of magnesium chloride. That should help explain why a bottle of stuff didn't make much difference. The diy 2 part solutions which are 3 cups Epsom salts 5 cups magnesium chloride in a gallon of water require 15 liters of solution. At 16 oz per pound looks like somewhere around 12-15 pounds need to be added. you could also do the 3 to 5 ratio of the dry powder But I'm pretty tired of math by now. LOL

(FYI myh 55g took 4-5 pounds so my "gut feel" is these values and your experience are similar to mine. )

FWIW I was using instant Ocean with my 700ppm magnesium. After two doses of pounds it was 1400ppm and after that the diy two part maintained it at over 1300. After using up a gallon of the calcium/alk supplement magnesium was lower. And responded as advertised to the correct value after dosing the 300ml of the magnesium solution.

my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Brenntag chemical wholesalers. Can get magnesium chloride for $18/55lb bag. BRS has a $23/7lb bag. That's .32 cents per lb versus $3.29/lb. I need about 20 lbs to start with not to consider long term. So $6.50 versus $66. Long term that is significant.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got magnesium up to 1150. Alk is still 5.6 dk, dosing baking soda. Calculator said about 6 table spoons to get it up to 8 or 9. Calcium is still off the chart on my API test. Gonna run carbon for a couple of weeks and try adding a few snails. Blue leg crabs are doing fine.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going now?

Here is an article by Dr. Randy Holmes Farley that may help you (Check out the correction for zone 4 (high calcium with low alk situation):

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

I try to keep my magnesium up to the natural sea level in order to keep calcium high enough since calcium will not go up if magnesium is too low. You've got an opposite situation.

Be careful using a lot of magnesium at once. Magflake type magnesium additive such as the one from Brenntag contains ammonia (a byproduct of processing).

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting better gradually. I don't want to hurt Bob's bad reputation, but he really helped me out. Got some good magnesium from him. Been dosing baking soda also so got alk up to 7 dKh and mag is has leveled off at 1050. Was a little higher when I first dosed it heavily last weekend. Gonna try to get up to 1350 by the end of the week. Just set up a new reef octopus skimmer. Hope to be fish ready before June.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the rock You made. I'd leave the sock & do a big fat water change. That's a big tank You have. Got a couple of 40 gl brute cans for mixing? But Like You said, You have time to work this out.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting better gradually. I don't want to hurt Bob's bad reputation, but he really helped me out. Got some good magnesium from him. Been dosing baking soda also so got alk up to 7 dKh and mag is has leveled off at 1050. Was a little higher when I first dosed it heavily last weekend. Gonna try to get up to 1350 by the end of the week. Just set up a new reef octopus skimmer. Hope to be fish ready before June.
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I need to pay more attention.

With your alk up this much, how far has your calcium dropped?

And in case you haven't noticed, you can expect to fight diatoms for quite awhile in this tank. They shouldn't hurt anything, and the more of them you grow the faster they will phase out. Just a little less than pleasant to look at.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I'd give a status update. Calcium at 460 and mag around 1200 stable. Things seem to be growing well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I'd give a status update. Calcium at 460 and mag around 1200 stable. Things seem to be growing well.
Glad things are going well for you. And that is a nice looking fish swimming around in your tank!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back