Sps help please!!!!

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. Looking for some help. Guys, for some apparent reason that I can't figure out , I can't keep Sps... they start browning the tips and then it continues on a slow not fast process to die away..... some tank info

Tank has now been running for just under two year but rocks are three years old.any help from you gurus would help.

For the past two months my parameters have been as follow.
Alk-8.7-9(my swings are no larger than 0.2/.03)
Cal-430-450 constant
Mag-1350-70 constant
Po4-0.06-9( never large swings)
No3-10.1-5(no large swings)
This results I've been doing them daily for 2 weeks straight now.

All LPs and softies doing great....

On another note... I sent in my ro and tank water to Ati.... here are the results.

IMG_3643.png
IMG_3644.png
IMG_3645.png
IMG_3646.png
IMG_3647.png

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are definitely part of the equation to healthy sps coral. Yours look pretty good. How is your lighting and flow? Got a tank pic as well?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello reefers. Looking for some help. Guys, for some apparent reason that I can't figure out , I can't keep Sps... they start browning the tips and then it continues on a slow not fast process to die away..... some tank info

Tank has now been running for just under two year but rocks are three years old.any help from you gurus would help.

Cal-430-450 constant
Mag-1350-70 constant

On another note... I sent in my ro and tank water to Ati.... here are the results.

IMG_3643.png
IMG_3644.png
IMG_3645.png
IMG_3646.png
IMG_3647.png
SPS hate lanthanum chloride if not used exactly the right way. Are you using any?

OP
OP
C

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... I have inspected my ato, mp40s and any equipment that's being used...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Cal-430-450 constant
Mag-1350-70 constant

IMG_3643.png
IMG_3644.png
IMG_3645.png
IMG_3646.png
IMG_3647.png
ICP looks good. Too much or too little light and flow can play a role as will type of water used.
Are you by chance using RODI water only or using tap occasionally for top off?

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a tank pic or several can help.
Do you have coralline algae growth?
Also, what kind of SPS have you tried? I assume ones that are know to be fairly hardy, fast growers.
I had a similar issue and for me, my tank was too clean and they were were not getting enough nutrients. Your numbers however seem like they should be ok on that front. But it does sound reminiscent of overall poor nutrition (slowly fading away). So lighting would be an area of investigation given your nutrient numbers look quite reasonable.

OP
OP
C

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a tank pic or several can help.
Do you have coralline algae growth?
Also, what kind of SPS have you tried? I assume ones that are know to be fairly hardy, fast growers.
I had a similar issue and for me, my tank was too clean and they were were not getting enough nutrients. Your numbers however seem like they should be ok on that front. But it does sound reminiscent of overall poor nutrition (slowly fading away). So lighting would be an area of investigation given your nutrient numbers look quite reasonable.
I like getting more of the mid to high end Sps. Have placed several orders but no contrete results yet. A few tck high end pieces and stuff

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All thats left is flow and lighting, everything looks good except lanthanum. The browning out is curious too. Question.. are you immediately attaching your frags to the rocks? Or in a frag rack? If you have the space I'd place the frags in a rack at the bottom center of your tank.. if they last the week creep them upward. And repeat the process. Id go higher than where you intend on placing them because they wont be in direct light in the rack.. another option rent a par meter from Bulk Reef Supply and map your tanks par.. its interesting how sps react. I had a cutting from an acro that was right in the middle.. moved to to my frag tank on a plug for about 2 months and once it fully encrusted I moved it to the main display not 2" away from the mother colony and 3 days later it was dead.. same coral same spot... theres many variations of acclimation and we cannot forget lighting. Just my 2 pennies.

OP
OP
C

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw sorry.. tank is a 76Lx30Wx20H. Sump is big, I think 80gal and it's full of bio(loaded)

afernandez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - you’ve recently changed your ROdi filters.

Checked municipal water- nothing

you’ve also been in the hobby for more than 10years and have had great results with Sps and mixed reefs .

Run a trident for daily testing.

OP
OP
C

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All thats left is flow and lighting, everything looks good except lanthanum. The browning out is curious too. Question.. are you immediately attaching your frags to the rocks? Or in a frag rack? If you have the space I'd place the frags in a rack at the bottom center of your tank.. if they last the week creep them upward. And repeat the process. Id go higher than where you intend on placing them because they wont be in direct light in the rack.. another option rent a par meter from Bulk Reef Supply and map your tanks par.. its interesting how sps react. I had a cutting from an acro that was right in the middle.. moved to to my frag tank on a plug for about 2 months and once it fully encrusted I moved it to the main display not 2" away from the mother colony and 3 days later it was dead.. same coral same spot... theres many variations of acclimation and we cannot forget lighting. Just my 2 pennies.
I usually place them on the rocks. This time I used the rack just in case I she. To quickly move some things to my boys tank. Will look into par

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back