Curing Live Rock: Oxygen Bleach vs Chlorine Bleach

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to cure some live rock and have oxygen bleach available. Does anyone know if this will work or should I be using chlorine bleach?

End goal is to remove organic material from the rock. I am planning to soak in vinegar or muriatic acid after to remove phosphates. After that will do a number of large rinses in ro/di water.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is truly live rock, you will kill all the bacteria and biodiversity in it by using bleach. Just let it soak in a barrel of salt water with a recirculation pump and a heater for a few weeks to a month.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is truly live rock, you will kill all the bacteria and biodiversity in it by using bleach. Just let it soak in a barrel of salt water with a recirculation pump and a heater for a few weeks to a month.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should have added more info about the rock and maybe called it something better. Any ideas on what a better thing to call this rock is?

The rock came dry a few months ago (LFS said it was collected from other tanks. It was white and dry) and is currently in a tank and has cycled. So it is populated by bacteria, algae, and a few pods.

I am having some phosphate problems in the tank and considering pulling a little bit to see if curing it will help.
I am thinking to go slow and pull a piece at a time to cure it. Then put it back and wait a bit for bacteria to re-establish before moving to the next one.
There are no fish in the system, just a couple pieces of coral.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know regular hypochlorite bleach will strip organics. I've put whole dead corals into bleach and pulled out clean white skeletons a while later. I'm not sure that other types will do so, but they may.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back