Curious why so many people recommend h202

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course and you can say similar about calcium and anything else you might put in your tank even commercially aquarium products can contain "other things" that might not be safe long term.

Since calcium is a mineral yes, there can be naturally occurring contaminates. But to my knowledge there is no need to add a stabilizer to calcium. Since h2o2 rapidly breaks down they have to add a stabilizer to prevent that.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since calcium is a mineral yes, there can be naturally occurring contaminates. But to my knowledge there is no need to add a stabilizer to calcium. Since h2o2 rapidly breaks down they have to add a stabilizer to prevent that.
Not talking about a stabilizer in calcium but other potential contaminants/ undesirable elements. I am well aware there is no need for stabilizers in calcium, I have been using both calcium hydroxide and Chloride for over 35 years and always buy the high grade not tech grades.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 is amazing! Clears cyano much better than chemiclean ime

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

consider this costly acrylic tube tank. One single scratch would be so annoying I wouldn’t want to own it, pristine is best. When dosing ferts and bright light we know green calcareous macro algae will dot the surface and set in, opaquing the top half of the tank if left unchecked within two weeks

the hobby only offers scraping options, there’s no other way to deal with it

but 3% is magical: no matter how hazy I let it build, a simple drain water/catch in brute, expose algae walls, lightly wet with perx from a wash rag and let sit in the air five mins, refill, never scrape. Within 48 hours the scum is killed, sloughs off, and total clarity resumes am talking clarity like day one. No matter how bad I put it off

nothing can beat that method for scratch prevention, in fw planted setups. I adjusted the lighting levels down so only the top 1/4 gets strength and I simply don’t have to clean down low. Peroxide is 100% the reason this tank is scratchless going on three years, not once single scratch at all.

Interesting, I wish I knew that in my FW days when it took a lot of elbow grease and patience to clean the sides with super soft poly. I'll make sure to share with my freshwater friends.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unorthodox use of h202.

I had some bryopsis appear in my system awhile back. Tried manually removing it but it always came back. So after a few months of manual removing I decided to use h202.
I used a 3ml syringe with a 29 gauge 1.5" needle.
I draw up 1ml of 34%, yes thats 34% not 3%, into the barrel.
I get my h292 at the hydro store and use it instead of bleach for cleaning filter socks.
I apply it directly to the patch of bryopsis, with all pumps off! It dies almost immediatly . I only use about 1/2 ml of the solution as more is not needed.
You need to be carefull not to get any on your corals which is why I use the needle for more control.
It has also worked on green disco mushrooms that I could not manually remove. These mushrooms will sting and kill anything they touch.
I inject it into the stalk and the mushroom turns brown and releases from the rock and is removed. I use only 0.1ml of solution as not much is needed.

I have had no issues with either method.
Thank you, for an easy to understand instruction! Exactly, what I needed! It worked and nothing died... except the algae. :)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1 (simple) thing to add... where to buy... not as easy as it once was or in the United States.
My breakdown/for simple people/reef hobby...
3% is easy to find... cheap... all drug stores/supermarkets, etc.
The sticky part...
Harder to find... but, doable...7.99% “food grade”/ it has to be under 8% by DOT to ship without having Hazmat shipping charges (I’ll attach pic of insert, of mine)...
This kind is widely available, but not in your big box stores or everyday drug store.
Available from Amazon/EBay, chemical, industrial supply/cleaning chemical stores, pool store.
13% I have NOT been able to find, not at all.... the closest I came was 13% diluted... and they are all diluted... duh. But, what you will receive or will get is 7.99%? It’s like a marketing stunt/maybe/i dont know... point is... if you click on it and read ... it’s not actually 13%... it’s 7.99%.
If actual 13% is available, a thing ... I couldn’t find it.
35% isn’t easy to come by... I’ve only seen it in 2 settings... hospital and (surgical) doctors office.
I’ve only ordered (successfully) once... from a doctors office.... they ask for NPI number or hazardous materials/license code. I provided NPI for 5gallons... it’s expensive in comparison to drugstore kind. Over $100/ Don’t remember exact amount.
*** I’m not saying what % or grade to use... I’m only putting this for “regular” reef keepers, looking to buy it. ***
I can only speak for myself/USA, my experience.
Trying to help... :)
Which is best.., not going there.., lol
Trial and error is how I learn, what not to do. Good luck :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1 (simple) thing to add... where to buy... not as easy as it once was or in the United States.
The sticky part...
Harder to find... but, doable...7.99% “food grade”/ it has to be under 8% by DOT to ship without having Hazmat shipping charges (I’ll attach pic of insert, of mine)...
This kind is widely available, but not in your big box stores or everyday drug store.
Available from Amazon/EBay, chemical, industrial supply/cleaning chemical stores, pool store.
13% I have NOT been able to find, not at all.... the closest I came was 13% diluted... and they are all diluted... duh. But, what you will receive or will get is 7.99%? It’s like a marketing stunt/maybe/i dont know... point is... if you click on it and read ... it’s not actually 13%... it’s 7.99%.
35% isn’t easy to come by... I’ve only seen it in 2 settings... hospital and (surgical) doctors office.
I’ve only ordered (successfully) once... from a doctors office.... they ask for NPI number or hazardous materials/license code. I provided NPI for 5gallons... it’s expensive in comparison to drugstore kind. Over $100/ Don’t remember exact amount.
*** I’m not saying what % or grade to use... I’m only putting this for “regular” reef keepers, looking to buy it. ***
34% h202 is available at hydroponic stores everywhere at least in CA.
Give one a call near you as it is widely used in hydroponics.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sticky part...
I buy my peroxide at bulkperoxide.com They sell all kinds. I buy the 34% and dilute it down to what i want.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back