Current orbit marine pro

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this light of my new 29gal and was wondering if anyone has any firsthand honest opinions on the light. I have some zoas and frogspawn and a rose tip anenome in there now. Curouis if i could throw some sps in too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this light of my new 29gal and was wondering if anyone has any firsthand honest opinions on the light. I have some zoas and frogspawn and a rose tip anenome in there now. Curouis if i could throw some sps in too.
is it the version with the lenses? the V2 is the Pro model, clever advertising the other is advertised as pro ramp, at the controller is the pro part.:confused::mad:

prob not enough for coral that need high light 200 to 400 par in either case. Low light sps wil love it.

twin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few monti and pocillopora. Easy fast growing hard coral seem to do what they do just fine under my orbit. I have quite a few friends that have this light as well and I don't hear anyt complaining.

Mark Shelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On some of the places I have seen this LED light, they had a PAR comparison chart with the older Orbit marine which I have; one can be found at the below site. If your corals are fairly high and right below the light, I would think it would work on a shallower tank. These are not much more powerful than the older models, but they have a better blue spectrum with UV and less white. They also have less of a spread angle than the older ones. So it will have more of a hit or miss with par. I have 2 older orbit marines on my 65 gallon tank and like the spread of the light over the tank. Most of the light hitting the glass is reflected back. But I have only LPS and softies with the LPS up high as my tank is deep.

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says "Orbit Marine Pro" :) :)

And yes, you should have no trouble with corals.

You should still get a light meter so you can have a way to judge what you're doing with the light.

Start with a free lux meter app for your smartphone. It uses the camera's light meter to generate a normal lux reading. For example, "galactica luxmeter" for IOS, but there are lots of light meter apps.

I'd also suggest ordering a $15 handheld lux meter from your favorite online reseller. Better readings and safer to use around saltwater. :)

Do you have it on the tank rim or suspended above?

If you're suspending it, you should be able to bring it up to about 8 or 9 inches over the water to get better front to back coverage at the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend scabbedwings616 gave it to me cheap. Its the newer orbit pro with the ramp timer pro and remote which i love.

The color, clarity and the controlability of this light are great. I had a fluval marine LED that came with the tank, and the orbit is like night and day. All of my livestock is thriving and happy which leads me to beleive that i might be well off to add some sps and maybe some other goodies that require higher end lighting.

The light is on top of the tank a couple inches above the water and about 10 to 12" above my liverock.

I have to say, although i dont have much experience in leds and reefing in general, i am very impressed so far w the orbit pro.

Now after my other 44gal cycles and cures i will be buying a kessil a360w. I cant wait to see how that baby works.

I appreciate the feedback on this orbit marine pro

20160905_015210_HDR.jpg

Air_Cooled_Nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is FOWLR for now but adding this unit definitely allowed me to grow algae when my previous, cheap single-row LED did not :)
I have mine set to 70% and that not only helps keep the tank from glowing but also keeps heat transfer down as at 100% the unit does shed more heat (of course). I really like the unit and can't complain for the cost/value it provides.
I would find it hard to believe that this unit wouldn't provide the necessary light.
20160904_072019.jpg 20160904_072046.jpg 20160904_072106.jpg 20160904_072133.jpg

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few monti and pocillopora. Easy fast growing hard coral seem to do what they do just fine under my orbit. I have quite a few friends that have this light as well and I don't hear anyt complaining.

What intensity level , W/B (Temp) and lengthy of time do you run the Pro at? Trying to find a good spread for my Zoa and BTA. everything doesn't seem to care. Does running them at the stock settings (10 hours / 100% W/B) work?

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. So it's been about 3 months or so and I've killed a few Corals. Not sure if it was the light or the water parameters. I had the light on the stock setting, then I put the blues at 50 and the white at 20 and I still have a few of my original corals. Last week I bumped the blues up to 70 and the white to 30 and I have seen noticable improvement in polyp extension and overall things look much happier. I've also been monitoring parameters and adjusting my ALK. I have been dosing baking soda a couple times a week as well as a 20 percent bi weekly wc

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I first installed them they were way too bright for most corals and immediately bump them down interested in finding out what intensity levels people have them at

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread in the led lighting section asking that cuz I was curious too. But not too many ppl ran these lights but it was good to hear what other ppl run their lights at.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread in the led lighting section asking that cuz I was curious too. But not too many ppl ran these lights but it was good to hear what other ppl run their lights at.

How long do you run your lights for an how high above your tank?

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this light on amazon for my pico. I'm also curious as tp how people are running their lights and for how long. Following! :)

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 Gallon tank. I bought the mounting bracket from current that puts the light 7" above the surface of the water. I can only run my whites at 20% and my blues at 35% my lps and zoas seem to like it after 4 months. Any more than that and they start to retreat. I ramp up at 10 am and ramp down at 9pm. They seem to like this schedule. I like the light with all the different features and easy to set/change settings.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ChronicRage In the tropics, day length doesn't vary much. By that standard, you want 12 hour days. Of that, about 30 minutes each go to sunrise and sunset. I think Current has a default setting that does pretty close to that. (Right?)

@cgdcinc Can you get some lux readings? I don't have that light to be able to compare percentages, but I'm curious what you're getting with that bracket-mount.

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how this light is doing for you. I'm considering getting one for a 3-foot 55g for hard corals like SPS, but I'm not sure how bright it needs to be or whether this light is even good for growing SPS.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how this light is doing for you. I'm considering getting one for a 3-foot 55g for hard corals like SPS, but I'm not sure how bright it needs to be or whether this light is even good for growing SPS.
The Pro does grow SPS.

I'd consider getting the dual (36 - 48) Pro model over the 55 gal for spread. The Pro spread is really tight and focused.

JMO... :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back