Current state of our 125 - not too excited

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Been a while since I've posted here. Life's gotten in the way with being a husband, dad, musician, work, etc. With all that, the reef tank is usually the first thing to start lacking attention.

My wife and I have lost quite a few corals lately, and we've both kinda lost our crazy love for this tank we had when we first started.

Medical bills and other things have also taken priority over buying new corals, fish, etc.

We tore down our 20g and moved everything to the 125.

Some corals that were thriving in the 125 have either died or not done well in the 125. We have for the most part, just lost the time it takes to constantly measure and dose for keeping corals so vibrant and healthy.

So I've been just kinda keeping the salinity and temp in check, and doing an every 2-3 week partial water change.

Most all of our softies, and BTA have done well. They are all growing, BTA are splitting. I've lost one RFA randomly.

GSP is taking over a lot of stuff.

My huge thing of Duncan corals mostly are staying with their tentacles short now. I moved them from the 20g 2 months ago now. They aren't dying, but they don't look nearly as good as they did in the 20.

Fish and invert wise, we've only lost an occasional snail or crab. Fish are doing excellent and growing. We got a new Orange Back Fairy Wrasse today we're excited about.

Surprisingly, all 4 of our clowns are living peacefully together. I didn't want to get rid of my clowns, and we certainly weren't getting rid of my wife's, so I tried an acclimating box with mine in the tank with hers. They've been together for 2 months. They are doing excellent.

We're thinking about just getting fish we like, and if they eat coral, that'll probably just be okay. As long as most of our softies and BTA survive, we'll be happy. We're still going to be careful, but also not coral police now lol.

Anyway just thought I'd update. Definitely not the tank it once was, but still fun!

20231205_195055.jpg
20231205_195113.jpg
20231205_195129.jpg
20231205_195137.jpg
20231205_195147.jpg

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks pretty nice if you don’t want GSP to take over you may want to consider isolating it on a island
I think we're too late. We just let it go and it's already gotten on the rocks. Every time we scrape it it comes back so we've just left it alone. It looks nice actually for carpeting lol

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thats a pretty sweet tank. Fowec tanks(fish only with easy corals) can be great. Takes the reef safe fish out of equation and opens up all kinds of fish options and can be easier. Just beware of the fish you add and what order.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back