Current USA eFLUX Loop Vs Sicce Phantom 2s

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a RedSea Reefer 200XL build. And due to budget constraints I am looking at the Current USA eFlux Loops Vs the Sicce Voyagers.

The plans are -
2x Current USA eFLUX Loop 660, with controller and Bluetooth connector
OR
1x Sicce Voyager 2 + 1 Sicce Voyager 3

Pros and Cons as I see them -

Current USA is DC - Pros - therefore controllable & quiet CONS - I don't know the brand well enough
Sicce Voyagers - Pros - Sicce's reputation, have adjustable nozzle for 'adjustable' flow pattern - CONS - AC - maybe noisy, not controllable large size (6 inches).

I know Sicce have an excellent reputation as a manufacturer. I know relatively little about the Current USA pumps in terms of build quality, longevity, loudness etc.

So I am asking for any pointers/feedback from users, long and short term. I am happy to also hear out some alternative suggestions if you have them.

Thanks and Happy Reefing folks!

Last edited:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA is having financial problems and either is on the verge of bankruptcy or possibly changing ownership. I wouldn’t like to buy products of firm which is at this state of development.

OP
OP
Gomi's Reef

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Error in the original post. I wrote Phantoms. I meant voyager. It is Monday and my brain is still waking up. Apologies

Luky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Current USA equipment, the LOOP dual marine lights, dual 1050 power heads, eflux DC return pump on my 70 gal (36" long x 18" wide x 25" deep). I had two of the old style lights ramp timer pro or something for 7-8 years and liked the thin aesthetic, being flat against the top of the tank. Was OK for softies/mushrooms. Upgraded to the dual LOOP Marine 36" light fixtures with BT and app controller back in April 2023 and started buying LPS frags. This made me get the Current USA 1050 DC power heads and eflux 1050 DC return pump so I could control it all on the BT App.

It all works fine, but I recently got an ITC PARwise and found the lights were providing WAY less light than I had thought. (With both lights cranked to 100% on all channels) I only get about 125 PAR at the top of my rockwork and about 50-60 PAR at the substrate. And I had them running at about 80% blue with 20% white so way less than this (like 20 PAR at the bottom). I found the white channel was actually providing most of the PAR rating when they were maxed. Recently got a used Neptune Sky fixture and the difference in my coral frags is amazing running it at only 25%.

The Current USA 1050 power heads are OK, but don't move as much flow as I though they would so I think the flow rating is exaggerated. The 660 are probably only good for a nano tank. I run the 1050 at 90% with surge cycles using different time lengths on the BT app to create random currents. I do like this functionality but don't feel there is enough flow even with the sump return. I have been considering getting a third 1050 since the BT controller will handle it, but now looking at other solutions.

(I put an old Hydor Koralia 850 in there which gives way more flow than the Current USA "1050" (but is bigger and uglier, and constantly on). Just ordered a $95 Hygger Gyre pump from Amazon to try that instead of the Hydor.)

The E-flux DC return pump is probably the only thing I am really happy with, but the BT app only allows 10%, 20%, 30% etc settings. So I cannot "tune" the return flow in the App unless I use the analog dial controller (which I need to do as my Thieling compact rollermat can only handle like 500gph and I want to maximize my flow without overwhelming the filter and wasting filter paper).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back