Custom 20g Long Sump

Panduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am currently researching on how to build my own custom sump setup for my 72g bowfront tank. I have hit a wall where experience trumps research and would love to hear what ya'll have done. I am debating to use acrylic or glass, smoked or clear, over-under-over setup, how to stock the refugium section.

I would love to hear what you all have done with your sumps and what would work best in the long haul. I currently have a Coralife Super Protein Skimmer that was purchased second hand (third hand?), which does not require being inside the sump. That frees up a ton of space, but down the line when I am able to upgrade, I would have to redo my sections, so I'm pretty sure I should plan out for a better skimmer in the future. Does anyone have experience with this particular skimmer?

This would be my second reef tank, but my first build. My first tank is an AIO BioCube, so not much to do there. :D

Thanks for reading and Happy Reefing!

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot of my 40 breeder
09E0FC61-B770-4C3A-85D4-060ECFB08136.jpeg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done a couple DIY sumps before, some just with glass I ordered locally, one with scrap acrylic I had in the garage and one out of a Fiji cube DIY kit.
My favorite was the glass, but the Fiji cube kit is actually pretty awesome. Has a lot of features which I couldn’t have made with the glass unless I bought special tools.
I’d recommend looking into their kit for the standard 20 long tank.
If you end up not liking their design, I would recommend getting some 1/4 inch glass panes cut, if you’re doing a refugeium I would recommend a smoked glass to help with algae.

best of luck! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done a couple DIY sumps before, some just with glass I ordered locally, one with scrap acrylic I had in the garage and one out of a Fiji cube DIY kit.
My favorite was the glass, but the Fiji cube kit is actually pretty awesome. Has a lot of features which I couldn’t have made with the glass unless I bought special tools.
I’d recommend looking into their kit for the standard 20 long tank.
If you end up not liking their design, I would recommend getting some 1/4 inch glass panes cut, if you’re doing a refugeium I would recommend a smoked glass to help with algae.

best of luck! Happy reefing!

Thank you very much for the reply! I will certainly take a look at Fiji and check it out.

I will be setting up a fuge, so I do appreciate the input. I like the look of the smoked glass too! :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back