Custom 44 Gallon Build - Would love some advice!

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a tank built for me that is going to be sunk into a wall. I am able to put the overflow box and returns through the drywall. I am going around a stud, so the return piping will have to go straight back for 4 inches before the angle. I hope this makes sense and maybe my mock design will help.

My questions are, what is your opinion on this design? The piping will be going down to the sump (Which I haven't designed yet, any suggestions for the sump?)

What about the measurements? What about other options? The tank builder suggested overflow out the bottom and return in the bottom up inside the overflow and out the side of the overflow box (thus keeping drain and return hidden in the acrylic covered overflow box in the back corner. (Same tank measurements)

Which design would you like better? The pictures that I have designed have been from my research, so please don't be afraid to critique.

Fish tank design.jpg Fish Tank Tubing.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where will your sump be located? Under the stand? Basement? Behind the tank in another room?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directly under tank

Any particular reason why you need to go through the wall with the plumbing and overflow? Space limitations? Don't like the look of an interal overflow?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amber905

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason why you need to go through the wall with the plumbing? Space limitations?
A few pictures of the space may be useful. This is the spot in the basement. Behind the wall is also shown. There are a couple studs that support a hanging floor, so if its possible would avoid having to cut out. But, I have no problem cutting the drywall out. Note, if you look really close and the picture from behind the wall, there is a black line. That is where the middle of the tank sits (hence, where I was picturing the overflow box)

Note, the spot framed out is not wide enough currently. Also, things will be supported more, it is just to give an idea. The sump will be directly underneath.

Note - It does not NEED to go through the wall, I just thought the extra depth may be nice on the tank?

Space 3.jpg Space1.jpg Space 2.jpg

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures of the space may be useful. This is the spot in the basement. Behind the wall is also shown. There are a couple studs that support a hanging floor, so if its possible would avoid having to cut out. But, I have no problem cutting the drywall out. Note, if you look really close and the picture from behind the wall, there is a black line. That is where the middle of the tank sits (hence, where I was picturing the overflow box)

Note, the spot framed out is not wide enough currently. Also, things will be supported more, it is just to give an idea. The sump will be directly underneath.

Space 3.jpg Space1.jpg Space 2.jpg

How old is the house? And yes the pictures definitely help :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as someone who has been doing a complet gut and reno on the whole house for the last year, it seem like a lot of work and expense for a small tank. Dont get me wrong I love using little nooks for stuff, but custom tanks are not cheap.

I am sure you have checked out all the PNP systems like waterbox, redsea, proclear, SCA etc. to price it ageist the custom tank?
I am all about buy once cry once now if a 36" 44gal is your perfect size tank then by all means.

IMHO peninsulas are the way to go just love them so much more "space" even tho that is not true but it seems like it do nice to few the tank from 3 sides.
have a little nano and once the house is complete I will be setting up a RS 650P

while you are doing a basement reno now is the time to think about it maybe that closed could be your fish closet??

just putting out some ideas....you know what is best for yourself :D

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 180 72.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back