Custom acrylic frag tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter rob92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rob92

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2013
Messages
297
Reaction score
0
Location
York, PA (New Freedom)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm going to be building a frag tank out of 1/4 inch acrylic. It's not gonna be big just about 20 gallons maybe less but right now I'm just building the frag tank out f cardboard to see what I like best. This is the first design I did.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384562914.165252.jpg


Since I don't have anywhere to really hang lights I made the sides taller than the actual tank so it will support a light .. Let me know what you all think.

Also where is a good place to get acrylic sheets. The only place online that I found that's fairly cheap is tops plastic
 
Using 1/4" material the sides will bow,you'll need some sort of bracing on the top. Since it's a frag tank, just a simple pvc elbow turned up will work for surface skiming.
 
The higher stands for the sides may not hold up to weight and will likely bow. You have an overflow box so I'm assuming this will be on a stand. Try bending some conduit and attaching it to the back if the stand to hang your lights from. Here's what I did with frag tank.
yzemavar.jpg
 
Use 3/8" instead of 1/2". The price is not much more and you would not need a euro brace.
 
Also, most major cities have a plastics dealer. Do some research and see if you can find on in your area. Most will also do the cutting for you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new