Custom Acrylic "Travel" Tank

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting next year I'll have the opportunity to triple my income if I take travel assignments. Unfortunately that would mean dismantling my 150 gallon display. I'd like to keep some of my high end corals during this time. I was thinking of having a custom acrylic tank designed for travel made, ideally with some sort of air-tight, sealed lid. Likely a cube or column to keep a small footprint. Does this exist? Does anyone have any recommendations on manufacturers to discuss a design like this?

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you could have something made. The issue will come from keeping your lighting schedule and flow during the traveling.

Will you be driving or flying? Could charge some extra car batteries and hook up to an inverter.

I'd always be driving. Was thinking I'd buy a small trailer and screw in some sort of bracket to keep the tank secure. Unless assigned very far north or west, I'd probably make the drive all at once. Figured I'd use battery operated air pumps for the 8-12~ hours during the drive and think a blackout during that time would be no issue. If I end up staying at a hotel, I'd plug in something for circulation/heat if necessary in the room.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your dedication to the hobby but having had a job where I had to travel every week by car, I couldn't imagine the thought of hauling a fish tank along on every trip. Every trip I made was a adventure e.g. 12 hours to go 100 miles in a blizzard caused major traffic jam, spending 5 hours getting through Nashville in the worst rainstorm I had ever been in, getting rear ended while dead stopped in traffic, finding out that the only room available is on the third floor and its 10 degrees outside. I traveled with my dog and it was enough of a challenge. Worrying about a fish tank would have been too much.

If you are bound and determined, there are mfg's who can build you anything you want e.g. Midwest Custom. But my recommendation is to find a local LFS that will house your corals, or re-home them, then dedicate your time to making the money so that when you stop traveling (it will get old fast) you can have a better display tank.

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your dedication to the hobby but having had a job where I had to travel every week by car, I couldn't imagine the thought of hauling a fish tank along on every trip. Every trip I made was a adventure e.g. 12 hours to go 100 miles in a blizzard caused major traffic jam, spending 5 hours getting through Nashville in the worst rainstorm I had ever been in, getting rear ended while dead stopped in traffic, finding out that the only room available is on the third floor and its 10 degrees outside. I traveled with my dog and it was enough of a challenge. Worrying about a fish tank would have been too much.

If you are bound and determined, there are mfg's who can build you anything you want e.g. Midwest Custom. But my recommendation is to find a local LFS that will house your corals, or re-home them, then dedicate your time to making the money so that when you stop traveling (it will get old fast) you can have a better display tank.

Thanks for your concern. I guess I should've specified that it will be for 12-24 week assignments at each location. So I'd only be in transit maybe 4-5 times a year, certainly not every week.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always be driving. Was thinking I'd buy a small trailer and screw in some sort of bracket to keep the tank secure. Unless assigned very far north or west, I'd probably make the drive all at once. Figured I'd use battery operated air pumps for the 8-12~ hours during the drive and think a blackout during that time would be no issue. If I end up staying at a hotel, I'd plug in something for circulation/heat if necessary in the room.

Well if they are high end acros, I wouldn't risk black out periods personally. I have had acros that melt if you look at them wrong lol.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes. Sounds like a fun and exciting idea.

Axtellaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been figuring out a way to take my 25 gal AIO
To baja in my RV when i go
I will build a frame under my table, make a plexi top that can be clamped on with some sort of breather tube, might have to remove rock and no sand for traveling,
Might even get new livestock at LFS whare you will be stopping, then sell it back when u leave ?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tanks that travel with you have been around since the seventies.

Attachments

• 500full-i'm-gonna-git-you-sucka-screenshot.jpg
    500full-i'm-gonna-git-you-sucka-screenshot.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 47

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are organized and plan accordingly, i dont see why you cant make it work. I have moved my tank across multiple states twice with no issues

Salt.van

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a reef2reef account because of your column, I'm doing the same thing.. . I ordered 3 24"X48 sheets of acrylic @ 1/2" and used heat guns to bend them into a custom wall martini glass reef tank shape with a reverse drop off look so there is less pull and swishing in the lower parts of tank while driving. All the tension remains at the surface for sure.. but my concern was vibrations and all that possibly cracking the tank long term. I dont drive much either.. but boy 12-15 gallons cracking on a drive down ocean Blvd doesn't sound cool. I bought 10 ftx1" strips of velcro to mount the bottom of the tank to my table.. I figure the fibers in the velcro give the tank 1mm or less of give room to kind of go with the vibes while driving. I dont want to gorilla adhesive the bottom of the tank or anything in place because while driving that vibration could crack the bottom piece. Does Rv reef tank have an instagram? If so, mine is @Salt.van I'd like to hear about what tech you're adding into your mobile system.. I work at an auto shop so im going nuts with LEDs and high grade silicone making light warmers that go in the tank.. running my whole system off of 12v pumps and heaters at night and AC powerd items too. I love fish this much too apparently!

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in a school bus for 3 years that I converted "migration bus" . I would never attempt to have anything water filled in it while we're moving. Its going to turn into a washing machine every time you take off or stop. Even rvs recommend you drive with any water or waist tanks nearly filled to capacity or completly empty for this same reason.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back