Custom Aquariums Neenah WI

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a quote from Custom Aquariums too and thought the exact same thing. I was trying to cut some costs, by hoping not to purchase / make a new stand. My current stand is 1 x 3 oak top and is completely hollow in the middle. I don't want to put plywood on it, because it'll look dumb when you try to route a bullnose on it. Plus I don't want to see ugly foam on the bottom. I asked the same question about why a rimmed tank would need a foam support on the bottom, and they essentially wouldn't tell me why, just that they required it. I like the idea of their anodized aluminum frame, because it is cracking on my current plastic frame that is making me look into a new tank. Just put tempered glass on the bottom and call it a day. My AGA tank is tempered bottom with no supporting foam pad in the 19 years I've had it set up, and it's not the glass or silicon that's failing. It's the plastic rim.....

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always follow the guidance of the tank builder
Yes, I certainly get that! haha. When I was dealing with them in the build process, I had many questions. And this was just one of those questions that I didn't get a direct explanation for. I am sure there's a reason. When we're talking about psi and surface area over a given footprint per say, I get that it would likely be better to possibly have some kind of support for the floating glass panel. And the foam that comes with the tank isn't really pushing up on the glass a lot. Especially when the pressure is being evenly distributed over the pane. I've just never seen it used in the past. I know some manufacturers suggest not putting anything between the glass and stand on a rimmed tank with floating glass bottom. Who knows, but surely there's a reason. :)

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, I'd rather have ugly foam than 200 gallons on the floor.:D
I can't argue with that sentiment, for sure! I'm mostly just venting because I don't want to have to re-do my stand. I'm not going to buy their stand, so my warranty will be void anyway. I'm just not sure how far I want to fight putting foam under a new tank. I would prefer not to, but there are worse things in life....

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a quote from Custom Aquariums too and thought the exact same thing. I was trying to cut some costs, by hoping not to purchase / make a new stand. My current stand is 1 x 3 oak top and is completely hollow in the middle. I don't want to put plywood on it, because it'll look dumb when you try to route a bullnose on it. Plus I don't want to see ugly foam on the bottom. I asked the same question about why a rimmed tank would need a foam support on the bottom, and they essentially wouldn't tell me why, just that they required it. I like the idea of their anodized aluminum frame, because it is cracking on my current plastic frame that is making me look into a new tank. Just put tempered glass on the bottom and call it a day. My AGA tank is tempered bottom with no supporting foam pad in the 19 years I've had it set up, and it's not the glass or silicon that's failing. It's the plastic rim.....

I would always put plywood between tank and stand just to ensure a flat surface. Why dont you want plywood on top?

Yes, I certainly get that! haha. When I was dealing with them in the build process, I had many questions. And this was just one of those questions that I didn't get a direct explanation for. I am sure there's a reason. When we're talking about psi and surface area over a given footprint per say, I get that it would likely be better to possibly have some kind of support for the floating glass panel. And the foam that comes with the tank isn't really pushing up on the glass a lot. Especially when the pressure is being evenly distributed over the pane. I've just never seen it used in the past. I know some manufacturers suggest not putting anything between the glass and stand on a rimmed tank with floating glass bottom. Who knows, but surely there's a reason. :)

Again, how do we "know" that you dont want foam under rimmed tanks? Who decided that? Apparently other manufactures need it as well.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't argue with that sentiment, for sure! I'm mostly just venting because I don't want to have to re-do my stand. I'm not going to buy their stand, so my warranty will be void anyway. I'm just not sure how far I want to fight putting foam under a new tank. I would prefer not to, but there are worse things in life....
I hear you there!!!! It was a bit tricky getting the foam perfectly centered. I had 3 people involved and 4 suction cups.
Again, how do we "know" that you dont want foam under rimmed tanks? Who decided that? Apparently other manufactures need it as well.
I don't know that you don't want foam under rimmed tanks. LOL. I have zero clue why some manufacturers say yes and some say no. But as long as they say its required, I'll go with it. I will admit though, I was kinda hoping they'd say other wise. I was doubtful though. One of life's mysteries. We'll never know!;)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 from them. Their stand hides the foam so you do not see it. Tank and stand are very well made. My experience is that it has always been a recommended practice to use foam under large tanks.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always put plywood between tank and stand just to ensure a flat surface. Why dont you want plywood on top?
There aren't many ways to make plywood look good edge-on. Would take some kind of flashing or something, which again, is just more work. My current top, with routed solid oak looks fine edge on.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to hear @Joe Glass Cages thoughts on this.

Their website does say that foam is required for warranty.
Thanks for asking @nereefpat. Yes.... use a pad please. 3/4" styrofoam or an aquarium grade pad. Keeping it simple, this will allow for self leveling, remove any imperfections of the level surface and absorb water forces during operation and maintenance. so important on tanks larger than 90 gallons. Also, read here that the Styrofoam is not the prettiest to look at.... agree. Picture below is the Styrofoam and Black Polyethylene pad Glass Cages Offers.

FYI, Glass Cages warranties tanks an any stand. any stand. any manufacture or home made stand.

Thanks so much for asking. Hope this helps. If not, let me know.

IMG_0842.jpg

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so I guess this "myth" can be officially busted. Mats go with rimmed or rimless tanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have always put foam under rimmed tanks ..... yet to have a problem. Put the pink stuff under my prior 265 and after 4 years the tank had sunk in maybe 1/16". The notion of foam somehow putting pressure on the bottom panel always seemed ludicrous to me.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have always put foam under rimmed tanks ..... yet to have a problem. Put the pink stuff under my prior 265 and after 4 years the tank had sunk in maybe 1/16". The notion of foam somehow putting pressure on the bottom panel always seemed ludicrous to me.

But this is completely different. The pink foamular that people use I completely understand. That doesnt touch the glass pannel. This stuff that Custom Aquariums is using actually touches and "provides support to the bottom pane".

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping it simple, this will allow for self leveling, remove any imperfections of the level surface and absorb water forces during operation and maintenance.
Thank you for responding, Joe.

I had a feeling that removing imperfections in the stand would be part of the answer. I think we'd all agree that if using a home made stand, the stand needs to be flat, level, square, and strong.

A couple questions. And sorry to put you on the spot, but here they are:

1. Do you agree that a rimmed tank with a floating glass bottom on a properly made stand only needs supported on the edges, and also doesn't need any kind of foam?
2. Does foam putting any kind of pressure on the bottom panel of a rimmed tank with a floating glass bottom concern you?

FYI, Glass Cages warranties tanks an any stand. any stand. any manufacture or home made stand.
I think that is somewhat rare for aquarium companies to do that. That is great :)

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good information.. I have no imperfections in my stand. I know this because I built it. Haha. And it is dead nuts level. That’s the advantage of leveling feet. And there’s 9 of them. Just for psi purposes. And there is no imperfections in the 3/4” HDPE sheet that goes on top of that. Perfectly flat. And there’s also zero deflection in the stand. The only imperfections would be from the tank builder. Lol!! Man, I wished they would warranty using your own stand like glass cages. I guarantee what I built is way more structurally sound that what they produce. That is my line of work. Anyways, I’m convinced to keep the foam with above comments. Thanks for chiming in @Joe Glass Cages.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no imperfections in my stand. I know this because I built it. Haha. And it is dead nuts level. That’s the advantage of leveling feet. And there’s 9 of them. Just for psi purposes. And there is no imperfections in the 3/4” HDPE sheet that goes on top of that. Perfectly flat. And there’s also zero deflection in the stand. .
So, why in the world would that need a sheet of foam?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding, Joe.

I had a feeling that removing imperfections in the stand would be part of the answer. I think we'd all agree that if using a home made stand, the stand needs to be flat, level, square, and strong.

A couple questions. And sorry to put you on the spot, but here they are:

1. Do you agree that a rimmed tank with a floating glass bottom on a properly made stand only needs supported on the edges, and also doesn't need any kind of foam?
2. Does foam putting any kind of pressure on the bottom panel of a rimmed tank with a floating glass bottom concern you?

I think that is somewhat rare for aquarium companies to do that. That is great :)
great questions @nereefpat. Lets start at the top and work down.

1) Should a rimmed tank with a floating bottom only have perimeter supports? Does it also need an aquarium pad... I say yes and yes. Lets think about this..... consider the tank size 72 x 72 x 36 Tall build with a floating bottom. Would only support this tank with a perimeter stand? No way. Tank needs to be supported completely with a flat support surface and an aquarium pad if the tank has a stacked or floating bottom. Yes/Yes to this question.

2) Does styrofoam put any kind of pressure on the bottom panel of a rimmed tank? Interesting question. How much pressure is the water putting on the bottom panel? Lots. thousands of pounds of water pressing down on the bottom panel of glass without an aquarium pad is not a good thing at all. any slight imperfection in the stand cannot be absorbed by the glass but can be absorbed by an aquarium pad.

3) Warranting our tanks on any stand is rare. agreed. Well, we talked with may hobbyist and listened to many requests. This was one of them, so we changed our warranty. We are humbly listening and adjusting. The nice thing is there are no rules about what we can and can't offer, so we will be different. I love that!

Hope that helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back