Custom Build - Rethinking everything I think I know....

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be using teflon tape? I just added water to the overflow box again and I still have water weeping on the threads of all three. I already cracked one overtightening and I do not have any more spares. I have to be doing something wrong. Bulkhead through the hole, then gasket, then nut .... it's not the solvent joint. what the heck?

PXL_20210619_225715647.jpg
I think I know what I did wrong. My last tank has gasket on the outside, so I just followed suit. It just occurred to me that may be the reason why his bulkhead fittings always dripped! I called a friend and he said gasket on the inside or else it will weep on the threads. Well .... CRAP! I can get unions in the morning to fix the three in the overflow but I will need to completely replace the return bulkheads. I mean --- they are not leaking (yet). Better to do this right once than have rework later, right? Dang it, Darn it .... utter frustration.
I use silicon grease, and hand tighten. There's anecdotal evidence that plumbers tape can lead to overtightening. I've cracked every bulkhead I've used pliers on, so now if I get a leak I just rotate the entire assembly by 1/4 turn instead of tightening. That seems to do the trick.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be using teflon tape? I just added water to the overflow box again and I still have water weeping on the threads of all three. I already cracked one overtightening and I do not have any more spares. I have to be doing something wrong. Bulkhead through the hole, then gasket, then nut .... it's not the solvent joint. what the heck?

PXL_20210619_225715647.jpg
I think I know what I did wrong. My last tank has gasket on the outside, so I just followed suit. It just occurred to me that may be the reason why his bulkhead fittings always dripped! I called a friend and he said gasket on the inside or else it will weep on the threads. Well .... CRAP! I can get unions in the morning to fix the three in the overflow but I will need to completely replace the return bulkheads. I mean --- they are not leaking (yet). Better to do this right once than have rework later, right? Dang it, Darn it .... utter frustration.
Just noticed... Gasket goes on wet side.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1624152032724.png

My day just got better.... see that beautiful bubble coral? It's about to be mine. The tank owner is selling his house - leaving the tank. He said there is apitasia and cloves in there so he isn't going to part it out - just leave it for the next owner. He knows I'll have my old 90 running for a few months to QT that bad boy and fight off the aiptasia, so he's conceding it to me. That has been my favorite piece of his for years. Happy bubble dancing.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a few min catching up on your thread, any recent photos of the tank?
Moving rock around this weekend.... I'll update the thread tomorrow. Thanks for looking!
I grew up with a girl named Danieyella - spelled the same way. Beautiful name.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm overdue for some current pictures so here we go....
The OG owner of the bubble recommended that I dial back flow so the bubble isn't stressed. I turned up the return pump by 4% , then cut off one wavemaker. I turned the wavemaker back on after dark to keep rocks clean given the bubble and other softies are retracted then. Bubble was extremely happy with the change, as were my willows. The spawns still look good and bouncy. I guess I will have to see how the Montis adapt.
Looks like my next challenge is the potential warfare I have between two shrooms. That Riddler bounce is getting well... Bounced. The two men's on the other hand put themselves there. For whatever reason, they seem to enjoy each other's company. Weird.
Any tips on how to move the Riddler? I glued it in place. Oops

Have a good week everyone!

PXL_20210801_205616916.jpg PXL_20210801_205610436.MP.jpg PXL_20210801_205605999.MP.jpg PXL_20210801_205541039.jpg PXL_20210801_205411463.jpg PXL_20210801_205334022.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm overdue for some current pictures so here we go....
The OG owner of the bubble recommended that I dial back flow so the bubble isn't stressed. I turned up the return pump by 4% , then cut off one wavemaker. I turned the wavemaker back on after dark to keep rocks clean given the bubble and other softies are retracted then. Bubble was extremely happy with the change, as were my willows. The spawns still look good and bouncy. I guess I will have to see how the Montis adapt.
Looks like my next challenge is the potential warfare I have between two shrooms. That Riddler bounce is getting well... Bounced. The two men's on the other hand put themselves there. For whatever reason, they seem to enjoy each other's company. Weird.
Any tips on how to move the Riddler? I glued it in place. Oops

Have a good week everyone!

PXL_20210801_205616916.jpg PXL_20210801_205610436.MP.jpg PXL_20210801_205605999.MP.jpg PXL_20210801_205541039.jpg PXL_20210801_205411463.jpg PXL_20210801_205334022.jpg
lovely tank.
it's on a plug glued in place?

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lovely tank.
it's on a plug glued in place?
They are glued on the same 3" disk. I did not imagine that Angel Fire shroom was going to open up that large or that fast. The Riddler looks like it is trying to move itself. I'll give it a few days and assist if needed.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a mystery on my hands .... there is some odd orange oil in my water. If I dip my arm in the tank, when I remove it nd wipe my arm down with a towel .... it is just orange. I also smell like I just came from the fish monger. It makes me wonder of it is some sort of fish oil? I have never had anything like this.
I have the skimmer turned up and the carbon reactor running 24 hours. I noticed two spots of newly sprouted cyano today. I turned on the UV and we'll let it start doing it's thing.
I just ordered more salt, it will be here on Monday. I think I have about 10-15 gallons of salt on hand, so I'll siphon the sand in the morning and see if I can remove those little cyano spots. I'm also debating about adding in an airstone to atomize whatever this orange slick is... maybe that will get it into the overflow?
I did turn my flow down a bit last week to relieve stress on the bubble coral. Maybe I need to turn it back up?
Not the best week to be messing with this, given the doc said nothing physical but I feel like if I ignore this then it will be a bigger issue a week from now.
Wish me luck.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are having awesome success!! Idk if anyone asked about the clean up crew? I need to get one now that I actually have something for them to eat:)

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a mystery on my hands .... there is some odd orange oil in my water. If I dip my arm in the tank, when I remove it nd wipe my arm down with a towel .... it is just orange. I also smell like I just came from the fish monger. It makes me wonder of it is some sort of fish oil? I have never had anything like this.
I have the skimmer turned up and the carbon reactor running 24 hours. I noticed two spots of newly sprouted cyano today. I turned on the UV and we'll let it start doing it's thing.
I just ordered more salt, it will be here on Monday. I think I have about 10-15 gallons of salt on hand, so I'll siphon the sand in the morning and see if I can remove those little cyano spots. I'm also debating about adding in an airstone to atomize whatever this orange slick is... maybe that will get it into the overflow?
I did turn my flow down a bit last week to relieve stress on the bubble coral. Maybe I need to turn it back up?
Not the best week to be messing with this, given the doc said nothing physical but I feel like if I ignore this then it will be a bigger issue a week from now.
Wish me luck.
Is it just surface film organics on top of the water?

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just surface film organics on top of the water?
I don't think so. I siphoned the sand today. I think it helped some. Whatever it is is sticky. It's all over the acrylic and a bugger to rub off.
Bumping the flow and cranking up the skimmer is definitely helping the skimmer liquid is a dark orange, not at all green.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are having awesome success!! Idk if anyone asked about the clean up crew? I need to get one now that I actually have something for them to eat:)
Great question! I brought over a large crew from the 90 and then I added to it. I ordered my macros and CUC from Gulf Coast ecosystems. You can find him at www.live-plants.com. (I think that is correct)
The dominant players in my CUC are dwarf cerith snails. I've got at least 100 of them. Toss in a half dozen bumble bees, trochus and a handful of nassaris snails. I'd say there may be about 20 nitrile snails as well. I have observed a little snail on snail cannibalism but I can't say if the snail snack was hunted or just died of old age.
There are a small number of crabs left over but I added no new ones. I have one happy sand sifting star fish that honestly is overwhelmed.
Sometime soon, I am expecting an order from Dr Reefs. In addition to the new fishy friends, I'm adding 4 fighting conches as back up for the starfish. A six foot tank has a lot of sand to move!
Honorable mention to all of my macros. This is both beautiful and beneficial.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back