custom hood

runningreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so am in the process of drawing up plans to start my 40g breeder with custom stand and hood but i am kinda struggling on ideas for the hood. anyone have any secrets, tricks, ideas they used for their hood. i am struggling with how to place the lights and ballasts. i dont wanna really see the ballasts but know i cant completely box them in due to heat build up. so looking for suggestions on build ideas.

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make it a hanging hood
so am in the process of drawing up plans to start my 40g breeder with custom stand and hood but i am kinda struggling on ideas for the hood. anyone have any secrets, tricks, ideas they used for their hood. i am struggling with how to place the lights and ballasts. i dont wanna really see the ballasts but know i cant completely box them in due to heat build up. so looking for suggestions on build ideas.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rewire them. :wink:
I've got a 250w Halide in my canopy, the ballast is under the stand. Go to Lowes and get an extension cord, one long enough for your needs. Splice the cord into the exsising plug you have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

runningreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is the length from fixture to ballast not necessarily ballast to plug. I guess it's worth a look into but me and electricity have NEVER EVER gotten along. He doesn't play fair.

OP
OP
R

runningreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I've started my stand build but still haven't decided specific size for my canopy. What kind of lights are you going to have? Thinking I am going to dive into the led world instead of using my t5. But unsure of height for either to be honest.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build it with three sides and open back with a 2/3 hinged top and light enough to take off for maintenance. Poplar is a light wood that is strong and you can get it at hd or cabinet supply shop.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back