Custom Sized ATO Reservoir

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tall narrow space for my ATO Reservoir and unable to find anything of the size that's food safe. So...thinking of borrowing from those who build plywood tanks. The approximate size I'm looking for is 9" wide x 18" long x 24" deep. Anything close to this, food safe, I'm looking at $200+. So thinking I could build a wood/plywood frame to that size and seal it with whatever folks use to made plywood tanks.

Will this work?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at 5 gallon aquarium...8x16x10 if I remember right

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at 5 gallon aquarium...8x16x10 if I remember right

Hey, sorry I should've posted I'm looking for something in the 15-20 gallon range. I have a 220g display with another 100g+ sump and fuges. So 5 G is a little too small in my vision.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc levenson from melevesreef custom builds acrylic products all the time. You might want to get a quote from him and see if he can just custom build you an ato reservoir.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you couldn't just run a 1/4" tube from the barrel that you make your RODI in? That's what I do and it works great. You just need a high head pump like the avast diaphragm, litermeter3, BRS 50ml/min doser, etc if it's on a different floor.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out tencor's. I saw theirs after buying a clearance one from cwt. The price cant be beat!

PS: I'm not a fanboy or anything, but the price for a 20g+ ato cant be beat!
Screenshot_20220525-123505.png

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you couldn't just run a 1/4" tube from the barrel that you make your RODI in? That's what I do and it works great. You just need a high head pump like the avast diaphragm, litermeter3, BRS 50ml/min doser, etc if it's on a different floor.

I run a gravity fed process from the reservoir to the sump. I think youre suggesting pumping it right from my Barrel on demand? If so I prefer gravity as it keeps it consisten and more hands off. Otherwise let me know if I got that wrong.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think a 10 gallon rimmed aquarium is the closest “standard” tank. I used to have a 14 or 15 gallon tall that had a 10 gallon foot print but was much taller. . . If you could make the size and volume work that would probably be easiest. . .

If you can’t find a food storage container you could look for a PET food storage container, might have different size options.

Could build one out of glass or acrylic if you have the tools

could use pond armor if you go plywood, or, as long as you don’t need to drill/plum it,, you could just use a pond liner.

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out tencor's. I saw theirs after buying a clearance one from cwt. The price cant be beat!

PS: I'm not a fanboy or anything, but the price for a 20g+ ato cant be beat!
Screenshot_20220525-123505.png

Hmmm, no I havent. Will have to check out the size and think about the price. I'd probably pay in that range too. Unless, like my original thought, I can make a simple plywood box and coat it with some sort of sealant for much less. Checking out that link now... thanks!

EDIT - where did you get the clearance item? CWT?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, no I havent. Will have to check out the size and think about the price. I'd probably pay in that range too. Unless, like my original thought, I can make a simple plywood box and coat it with some sort of sealant for much less. Checking out that link now... thanks!

EDIT - where did you get the clearance item? CWT?
It was cwt aquatics, they had a nice 10g model that was a few bucks cheaper than tencor. That was about 3 months ago now. Previous to that I was using a 10g aquarium under my tank stand as a ato storage.

Yeah you can make it with ply, but with the cost of material, making sure you 100% seal it and your labor cost (I set mine at 50 bucks a hour :astonished-face:) it ain't far from buying one, lol.

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was cwt aquatics, they had a nice 10g model that was a few bucks cheaper than tencor. That was about 3 months ago now. Previous to that I was using a 10g aquarium under my tank stand as a ato storage.

Yeah you can make it with ply, but with the cost of material, making sure you 100% seal it and your labor cost (I set mine at 50 bucks a hour :astonished-face:) it ain't far from buying one, lol.

True. I havent yet begun to price out what it would take to build a 10"x"18x24" plywood box. But at $145 for an already made box and like you said my time its almost a wash. Do you know if these Tencor ATO acrylic boxes are drillable? Ive drilled glass no problem but never acrylic. Basically b/c I use gravity fed ATO I need a small outlet at the bottom. Maybe I'll call them

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Advanced acrylics has lots of thin ATO sizes:

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. Checked these out but above my price range for something like an ATO reservoir. in the past I've used rubbermaid tubs just fine but now that I have less space cant seem to find one. For $300-$400 I'd rather build a simply plywood box for, I think, much less.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tenecor prices are very reasonable. Personally, I would not use an ATO that large. The reason is in case it should stick on and empty the container most systems that large can not hold an additional 20 gallons without flooding and the change in salinity will cause issues. I am speaking from experience. When my ATO was controlled by my apex it did exactly that. My sump had the capacity to hold an extra 10 gallons while running, although not if the return pump was off. The salinity change was not too bad as I have around a 350-gallon system. I have to fill it once a week to 10 days on average. This means I have to have someone fill it when I am gone longer than 10 days. Or I hook up a second container to supplement the first one when I am going to be gone.​

If you have the ability and tools to make a nice wood box, you can make an acrylic one. The acrylic will look nicer and is easy to seal. The only real difference is the acrylic costs a bit more and the glue needed. IE weld-on. Much easier really.​

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There was a $200 8x16x16 8.8G model, but after checking tenecor I think they’ll have something either bigger or cheaper that uses your full space.

Both of these models are around $100, and I don’t think you’ll find something cheaper. I was also shopping for a thin ATO for a while previously.

https://tenecoraquariums.com/products/aquaboss™-slim-line-ato-reservoir-6-inch

https://tenecoraquariums.com/products/tenecor®-aquaboss™-ez-box-auto-top-off-reservoir-8-gallon

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I havent yet begun to price out what it would take to build a 10"x"18x24" plywood box. But at $145 for an already made box and like you said my time its almost a wash. Do you know if these Tencor ATO acrylic boxes are drillable? Ive drilled glass no problem but never acrylic. Basically b/c I use gravity fed ATO I need a small outlet at the bottom. Maybe I'll call them
Any acrylic is drillable. I just use a step bit and take it slow. If your concerned, call tencor. They will prolly drill it for you, no extra charge.

P.S. you may have a heartattack when you see price for sheets of cabinet grade ply.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a gravity fed process from the reservoir to the sump. I think youre suggesting pumping it right from my Barrel on demand? If so I prefer gravity as it keeps it consisten and more hands off. Otherwise let me know if I got that wrong.
I use active ATO with float switches and optical sensors all controlled by my apex. If you are against that method of ATO for whatever reason, my advice of using your RODI barrel would not work. Personally I will never go back to standalone ATO or gravity fed because mine is so much more convenient and so much safer (I have a lot of failsafes built in so its impossible for it to cook my tank).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm local to advanced acrylics, they are more than proud for their ATO's container pricing.

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tenecor prices are very reasonable. Personally, I would not use an ATO that large. The reason is in case it should stick on and empty the container most systems that large can not hold an additional 20 gallons without flooding and the change in salinity will cause issues. I am speaking from experience. When my ATO was controlled by my apex it did exactly that. My sump had the capacity to hold an extra 10 gallons while running, although not if the return pump was off. The salinity change was not too bad as I have around a 350-gallon system. I have to fill it once a week to 10 days on average. This means I have to have someone fill it when I am gone longer than 10 days. Or I hook up a second container to supplement the first one when I am going to be gone.​

If you have the ability and tools to make a nice wood box, you can make an acrylic one. The acrylic will look nicer and is easy to seal. The only real difference is the acrylic costs a bit more and the glue needed. IE weld-on. Much easier really.​

These are all glpd points. I have to say in the 17 years I've had thus ultra simple gravity float switch method it's failed exactly once. It's a $10 Kent marine float switch and some tubing. That's it.

To your point about the acrylic diy I'm pretty handy but have never looked into making anything with acrylic. Maybe I should. As long as it's lower budget and safe from leaks and breaking it could be a great solution.

There was a $200 8x16x16 8.8G model, but after checking tenecor I think they’ll have something either bigger or cheaper that uses your full space.

Both of these models are around $100, and I don’t think you’ll find something cheaper. I was also shopping for a thin ATO for a while previously.

https://tenecoraquariums.com/products/aquaboss™-slim-line-ato-reservoir-6-inch

https://tenecoraquariums.com/products/tenecor®-aquaboss™-ez-box-auto-top-off-reservoir-8-gallon
I emailed Tenecor right after my post above and they got back to me a few hrs later, after hours. Very impressed. Their prices really are good. They said I can easily drill. But they're on a backorder now. Which is fine no rush here. I might even be able to get the exact custom size I want. If I can for that price of 145 I'd prob go that direction.

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
6.30 x 14.80 x 19.00 Inches

www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-6-Gal-Water-Storage-Jug/16537207?

18 bucks at Walmart

Hmmm never thought of water jugs! 6 gallons is too small for me but you got me thinking I might be able to find larger ones and they'd have to be food grade. Thanks!!
Any acrylic is drillable. I just use a step bit and take it slow. If your concerned, call tencor. They will prolly drill it for you, no extra charge.

P.S. you may have a heartattack when you see price for sheets of cabinet grade ply.

Lol. Thanks. Again I'd go with probably less than cabinet grade plywood here. Simplest I can get away with. I'd better start looking at those prices tho.

I use active ATO with float switches and optical sensors all controlled by my apex. If you are against that method of ATO for whatever reason, my advice of using your RODI barrel would not work. Personally I will never go back to standalone ATO or gravity fed because mine is so much more convenient and so much safer (I have a lot of failsafes built in so its impossible for it to cook my tank).
I'll tell ya I'm always surprised more people don't go gravity fed. The only way it fails is If the float switch is blocked. Same as other atos. But there's no other mechanics or technology to malfunction and get In the way. Other than that one time it's been 100% failsafe for me.

Back