Stand out of 2x6 planks.

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
So i'm gonna build new stand for my aquarium. And i need the middle of the stand "empty". No side braces, or front braces.. I can add extra brace at the back going sideways.. (If it's needed)
My aquarium is 35 gallons (130 liters) L24" x W16" x H24". (L60Cm x W40Cm x H60Cm)

The thing is - i need the stand to be very tall.. 43" in height (110Cm tall.) So i can use bottom part for "storage". Also i like that aquarium is "somewhat" in my eye level. (Cleaning, etc im using stool.)

I'm planning to build stand out of 4X 2x6" (4.5Cm x 145Cm) planks. That will be connected to bottom 1" (3Cm) thick plywood. At top it will have 2x4" (4.5Cm x 9.5Cm) frame. The frame itself will sit on top of those 4X legs and everything will be screwed together - using steel plates/steel corner "L" brackets. On top of the frame it will have (The gray block under aquarium) 1.5" (4Cm) thick counter top.. Made out of compressed wood shavings, that is laid over with plasticky surface. (The regular kitchen counter top.. Very solid/hard surface.)

Here's my question - how sturdy would it be? I'm not worried about it holding the weight.. As it's made out of freaking 2x6 planks. But side to side movements? And such things.. Don't forget i'm using "L" brackets at bottom to connect the legs to plywood. (I may simply screw long screws true plywood - right into bottom of legs.) Frame will have it's own "L" brackets and then one straight plate connecting them to legs. (Steel plate will connect the frame to legs..)

Any inputs? Am i okay building this? Again i need the middle empty as possible. Going from >> one side >> true middle >> to other side >> (Arrows show the way i need it empty as possible. That's why im using 2x6 planks. Front i don't really need empty, only sides.)

111.png 1111.png

Last edited:

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just use 3/4 plywood for this and it would be plenty strong and give you the openness you want.

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just use 3/4 plywood for this and it would be plenty strong and give you the openness you want.

You mean front/back fully closed? Only sides open? 2 vs 4 CM not that big of difference.
I actually have a DIY stand made out of plywood right now.. Built like regular "book shelf" After 2-3 years i have notices i'm not using those shelves and simply empty place would be much better. Space to store my bike away. And things like that.
"Somewhat" empty front also would be welcomed. I plan to hide power strip at bottom of the counter top. Hidden inside the 2x4 frame. Maybe small shelf inside the frame also. To put fish food/cleaning tools.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that small, you don’t need that much support. Honestly, I would use clear (no knots) 1X4 for a stand to support a tank that size. And even that would be overkill.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
So i'm gonna build new stand for my aquarium. And i need the middle of the stand "empty". No side braces, or front braces.. I can add extra brace at the back going sideways.. (If it's needed)
My aquarium is 35 gallons (130 liters) L24" x W16" x H24". (L60Cm x W40Cm x H60Cm)

The thing is - i need the stand to be very tall.. 43" in height (110Cm tall.) So i can use bottom part for "storage". Also i like that aquarium is "somewhat" in my eye level. (Cleaning, etc im using stool.)

I'm planning to build stand out of 4X 2x6" (4.5Cm x 145Cm) planks. That will be connected to bottom 1" (3Cm) thick plywood. At top it will have 2x4" (4.5Cm x 9.5Cm) frame. The frame itself will sit on top of those 4X legs and everything will be screwed together - using steel plates/steel corner "L" brackets. On top of the frame it will have (The gray block under aquarium) 1.5" (4Cm) thick counter top.. Made out of compressed wood shavings, that is laid over with plasticky surface. (The regular kitchen counter top.. Very solid/hard surface.)

Here's my question - how sturdy would it be? I'm not worried about it holding the weight.. As it's made out of freaking 2x6 planks. But side to side movements? And such things.. Don't forget i'm using "L" brackets at bottom to connect the legs to plywood. (I may simply screw long screws true plywood - right into bottom of legs.) Frame will have it's own "L" brackets and then one straight plate connecting them to legs. (Steel plate will connect the frame to legs..)

Any inputs? Am i okay building this? Again i need the middle empty as possible. Going from >> one side >> true middle >> to other side >> (Arrows show the way i need it empty as possible. That's why im using 2x6 planks. Front i don't really need empty, only sides.)

111.png 1111.png
If it helps this was our old 40B. Stand was all 2x4 with a small piece of 1/2 inch ply on top and 4 inch wood screws. The height was 48 inch for viewing purposes and to keep the sump off the floor. Never built the facade as we outgrew the tank in 3 months. IMG_20231009_121604.jpg IMG_20231009_121612.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated cladding it sides and back in ply will work. So would X bracing.
I need sides open.. And would prefer front open also. Only option to achieve it - is to use 4 legs. (Or wall mount the thing.) :D
For a tank that small, you don’t need that much support. Honestly, I would use clear (no knots) 1X4 for a stand to support a tank that size. And even that would be overkill.
Hmm 4" wide i would imagine for sure. But 1" thick? Would it have no danger at all of cracking/snapping in middle? If the stand is ~44" high.
The height also plays role.. Not only weight. I want the stand to be at least 4x stronger... So it could theoretically speaking hold 150 gallons.
If you’re using a sump, you may want to rethink the steel brackets. JMO
No sump. + I'm gonna paint whole thing anyways.. Aside of removable countertop. (Removable - because it will be sitting on yoga mat, to remove even little bit of pressure points or unevenness that shims didn't do. Every little thing helps..)

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps this was our old 40B. Stand was all 2x4 with a small piece of 1/2 inch ply on top and 4 inch wood screws. The height was 48 inch for viewing purposes and to keep the sump off the floor. Never built the facade as we outgrew the tank in 3 months. IMG_20231009_121604.jpg IMG_20231009_121612.jpg
Doh the middle "shelf" works as brace. Mine won't have that. Doh thanks for proof of concept. :) Also all the weight is sitting on screws. (The middle board. But most important is the corners anyways..)

I could easily go with 2x4" also. But 2x6" eases my worried heart. Also my floor isn't one of most even. Shims etc..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top is fine the bottom scares me.. I’d like to see those legs tied together in a similar fashion to the top! Even if you make it a toe kick to hide the horizontal supports..

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean front/back fully closed? Only sides open? 2 vs 4 CM not that big of difference.
I actually have a DIY stand made out of plywood right now.. Built like regular "book shelf" After 2-3 years i have notices i'm not using those shelves and simply empty place would be much better. Space to store my bike away. And things like that.
"Somewhat" empty front also would be welcomed. I plan to hide power strip at bottom of the counter top. Hidden inside the 2x4 frame. Maybe small shelf inside the frame also. To put fish food/cleaning tools.
I'm referring to building a plywood box with an open front. similar to ones in the thread that I linked.

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top is fine the bottom scares me.. I’d like to see those legs tied together in a similar fashion to the top! Even if you make it a toe kick to hide the horizontal supports..
~1.2" plywood sheet (the red at bottom) holding all 4 legs with "L" brackets. Or simply screws - screwed true plywood right into legs. So they are tied together..? They can't move at all. Only difference - i don't have the 2x4 "box" at the bottom.
I'm referring to building a plywood box with an open front. similar to ones in the thread that I linked.
And open sides right? Easier to use simple legs then. As end result would be the same. Only difference instead of logs/planks, it would be plywood. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~1.2" plywood sheet (the red at bottom) holding all 4 legs with "L" brackets. Or simply screws - screwed true plywood right into legs. So they are tied together..? They can't move at all. Only difference - i don't have the 2x4 "box" at the bottom.

And open sides right? Easier to use simple legs then. As end result would be the same. Only difference instead of logs/planks, it would be plywood. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Correct! So you’re counting on screws to keep it from rocking back and forth.. all I’m saying is I wouldn’t trust it in my house.. I know a little bit about building lol… been a fabricator for over 30 years now and built plenty of stands.

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct! So you’re counting on screws to keep it from rocking back and forth.. all I’m saying is I wouldn’t trust it in my house.. I know a little bit about building lol… been a fabricator for over 30 years now and built plenty of stands.
But top frame also is sitting on top of legs.. Only thing holding legs and the "top" frame together is screws. Only the steel plate from inside are giving it extra brace.
I'm talking about the big "L" bracket that are 15" long and almost same width as board itself. So there won't really be only screws holding it together.

At start i was planning to simply screw long screws true plywood right into legs. But if "L" bracket are better. Then be it.
I don't want the "box" at the bottom. I need flat as possible surface. And low to ground as possible. (Nothing at sides!) I would prefer the stand to be like table.. But i understand you need to tie it together somehow.
Steel "L" brackets take up almost no space. Need be i can use 100x screws. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Also the steel is 4mm thick.. With extra grove in middle - for "extra" strength.
1696881124070.png

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But top frame also is sitting on top of legs.. Only thing holding legs and the "top" frame together is screws. Only the steel plate from inside are giving it extra brace.
I'm talking about the big "L" bracket that are 15" long and almost same width as board itself. So there won't really be only screws holding it together.

At start i was planning to simply screw long screws true plywood right into legs. But if "L" bracket are better. Then be it.
I don't want the "box" at the bottom. I need flat as possible surface. And low to ground as possible. (Nothing at sides!) I would prefer the stand to be like table.. But i understand you need to tie it together somehow.
Steel "L" brackets take up almost no space. Need be i can use 100x screws. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Also the steel is 4mm thick.. With extra grove in middle - for "extra" strength.
1696881124070.png
Those would help but wouldn’t be my top choice… I understand the top is the same way but this is top heavy and it won’t flex up top, all the swaying motion will be where those 4 legs screw into the bottom plywood… it’s your tank and your house and you’ve pretty much made up your mind.. build it and let us know how it goes.. I’m sure it will work but I personally wouldn’t sleep well at night.. boxing the bottom together you would loose 2” at best inside the stand which isn’t a big deal at least to me.. tie the 4 legs together and set your bottom shelf on top of it and it’s safe and sound.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just anchor it to the wall and call it a day. Not going anywhere unless you house falls down.

OP
OP
F

Fishess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would help but wouldn’t be my top choice… I understand the top is the same way but this is top heavy and it won’t flex up top, all the swaying motion will be where those 4 legs screw into the bottom plywood… it’s your tank and your house and you’ve pretty much made up your mind.. build it and let us know how it goes.. I’m sure it will work but I personally wouldn’t sleep well at night.. boxing the bottom together you would loose 2” at best inside the stand which isn’t a big deal at least to me.. tie the 4 legs together and set your bottom shelf on top of it and it’s safe and sound.
I don't get how the 2" frame at bottom would be different than using simple plywood sheet at bottom?
So called "frame" still would be connected by screws.. Frame would go all around the legs? Or between the legs inside?

Please explain it to me how it would be different than my using simple steel bracket and screws. My plywood acts as frame..
Or am i missing something completely obvious?

Another option is i could use 4x big sheets of plywood. (1.5" thick) And simply cut middle out. (It would look like big window.) And screw the 4 panels together and then to bottom/top. It would look the same as my original image. But made out of plywood. Let's say front/back would have "legs" 1.5"x6" and side frames would have 1.5"x2" "legs"

Each corner would have this size leg: from sides 2", at front/back 6" and 1.5" thich.
You could say the leg would look like "L" The long part would be at back and front. Short part at sides.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back