Custom Sump Feedback - Designs attached

OpTiCz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of my build and am not finding a ton of options for sumps that fit the dimensions of my stand.

That said, I'm thinking about doing my own sump. it has to be less than 10.75" and can be up to 36". I've used SketchUp and design something that I think will work, but would looks some feedback from the community to make sure my chambers are sized properly, etc.

It's setup for right to left flow. Let me know what you think and what I should resize or account for.

Reef_Sump_2.png

Reef_Sump_1.png

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right to left flow. I see the return section, I see the skimmer section with a adjustable gate to control skimmer water height. After that gate, I don't see any sound control features to slow down the waterfall noise. If you have any flow, you will hear that. Put the slide part on the skimmer side. Build a floss/sponge/heater tray for the water to quietly get through. Extra chamber for a top off container built in?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the skimmer chamber, depending on what you want to accomplish, you want to limit waterfalls in the sump for bubbles that the pump will suck into the display. Over the skimmer gate, through a tray to prevent the waterfall noise, under a gate to float bubbles over the pump suction.

OP
OP
O

OpTiCz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the skimmer chamber, depending on what you want to accomplish, you want to limit waterfalls in the sump for bubbles that the pump will suck into the display. Over the skimmer gate, through a tray to prevent the waterfall noise, under a gate to float bubbles over the pump suction.

I was going to use the section after the skimmer as a fuge. If the adjustable section right before the return dictates height, do I need an adjustable right after the skimmer or just some openings for flow?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st gate for the skimmer will be good. Get a stand for the skimmer to let the sump hold more water & reduce flow around the skimmer to suck up more organics & do it's job. A waterfall buffer over that gate to the fuge. Black the walls of the fuge out or you may end up with an algae explosion you don't want. You have a bubble trap I circled last pic. Put the return pump in the middle chamber after the skimmer you wanted as a fuge. Your old pump chamber will now be the fuge b/c you want dirty tank water to nourish the algae you grow. Fuge straight from tank, not skimmer treated water. Skimmer on one side of the sump taking 2/3rds the overflow, fuge on the other taking 1/3rd the overflow. Return pump taking water from those chambers back to the tank. I'm no expert, but that is ideal. Black out the fuge or your sump will get nasty w/ algae where you don't want it.

OP
OP
O

OpTiCz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st gate for the skimmer will be good. Get a stand for the skimmer to let the sump hold more water & reduce flow around the skimmer to suck up more organics & do it's job. A waterfall buffer over that gate to the fuge. Black the walls of the fuge out or you may end up with an algae explosion you don't want. You have a bubble trap I circled last pic. Put the return pump in the middle chamber after the skimmer you wanted as a fuge. Your old pump chamber will now be the fuge b/c you want dirty tank water to nourish the algae you grow. Fuge straight from tank, not skimmer treated water. Skimmer on one side of the sump taking 2/3rds the overflow, fuge on the other taking 1/3rd the overflow. Return pump taking water from those chambers back to the tank. I'm no expert, but that is ideal. Black out the fuge or your sump will get nasty w/ algae where you don't want it.

Wouldn’t the skimmer suck up good things like pods if it’s after the fuge?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back