Custom tank build glass thickness guidelines...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Degener8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Degener8

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Messages
393
Reaction score
5
Location
Tenino, Wa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been toying with the idea of making a new tank myself,

I would like it to be rimless. The question I have is this.
If i use glass what thickness should be used for a 48x48x20 tank.

If i use acrylic I could pretty easily use a top piece to brace the tank and not distract from the overall look.. I am guessing it would need to be 1/2" acrylic all around also.

Input would be greatly appreciated as I have read through several guides to sizing but I am not that great at doing the math calculations etc.. once they start talking about strengths of different glasses etc my head starts to spin..LOL

Oh all overflows would be in the center of the tank. along with the returns I don't think this will have alot to do with the thicknesses needed for either glass or acrylic.

Links to guides that may be easier to understand for me would be great also. I'm not dumb but its been forever since i have really had to do much mathematics.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new