Custom Trigger Triton 44 Sump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up my new Custom Triton 44 from Trigger. Any quirks or recommended customizations I should know about prior to installation?

20180403_085149.jpg

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to have small foot print on skimmer i had to go to a 150 reef octo cause 200 too big

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to have small foot print on skimmer i had to go to a 150 reef octo cause 200 too big
No worries there... I use a classic Reef Octopus 6" 150 that has been running great on the tank for 6 years.

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested, I bought a trigger 36 past Black Friday but now thinking of doing triton and this line looks very intriguing.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested, I bought a trigger 36 past Black Friday but now thinking of doing triton and this line looks very intriguing.
I really like the look of it in person. There are several cool features like the dosing ports, probe holders, wiring holders, media bag section, the slot in the refugium lip for light clamp, refugium cover, extra drain cover for custom drilling, and even an extra adjustable wall for the return section if you want to remove the media trays and put a biomedia plate in there. The Skimmer section is on the small size, but this is expected if you want a sump with a really large refugium section.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up my new Custom Triton 44 from Trigger. Any quirks or recommended customizations I should know about prior to installation?

20180403_085149.jpg
What's the stand made out of? Looks good.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't use 80/20 quickframe in Los Angeles, one small earthquake away from a very angry landlord. The sump looks good, I don't know why they splash zone area is included, you want turbulent water in the refugium.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't use 80/20 quickframe in Los Angeles, one small earthquake away from a very angry landlord. The sump looks good, I don't know why they splash zone area is included, you want turbulent water in the refugium.
Yeah, that is not an issue out in Texas LOL. I think the splash zone is some what of a compromise in order to reduce noise and salt creep. It has a pretty large underwater opening (2" high x 15" wide) half way down the wall between the splash zone and the refugium.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's flipped, but not sure if that's the only "custom" part.
Yep, that it. Plumbing it will be a lot easier this way for me, with short runs for drains and dosing lines. Only the return will be a long run this way. It also will make it easier for me to get at the skimmer cup.

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one other thing I noticed about mine is the ends of the dosing port tubes are underwater if I turn my return pump off for anything.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one other thing I noticed about mine is the ends of the dosing port tubes are underwater if I turn my return pump off for anything.
Does it cause any problems? Does it create a vacuum on the lines? Did you do anything to address it?

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really give it a chance to cause any problems. When I first installed the sump and noticed, it would leave a white residue on the dosing tubes for 3a & 3b. I thought over time this might turn solid and block the tubes, so I tried to adjust the baffles to adjust water levels, but that didn't work. Then I just started feeding with the return pump on, but I felt that was wasting to much food. So I then attached a separate dosing tube holder onto the taller return section baffle and put my dosing tubes in that one.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump in and plumbed. Left to do:
  • Get DOS dosing pumps back up running
  • Get Tunze ATO back from servicing and install it
  • Wire hiding project
  • Reinstall BRS Dual Reactor
  • Install and plumb second overflow
  • Buy and install a second DOS
  • Start running Triton

20180415_123022.jpg
20180415_122955.jpg

action21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180403_085149.jpg
Yes. If you plan on growing Chaeto for Triton method I would recommend putting a gyre is refugium. It took me 16 months of trying different approaches but my chaeto only floated on top. I put in icecap gyre two weeks ago and BAM. Chaeto is growing and turning like crazy

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If you plan on growing Chaeto for Triton method I would recommend putting a gyre is refugium. It took me 16 months of trying different approaches but my chaeto only floated on top. I put in icecap gyre two weeks ago and BAM. Chaeto is growing and turning like crazy
What’s the benefits of it tumbling? Mines been floating on top since I’ve had it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back