Cut Canopy top completely off for hanging light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatmike92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,888
Reaction score
4,487
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my VIPARSPECTRA light showed up over the weekend.

I need to cut the top out of my canopy and add on a hanging bar. working on that slowly but surely

any suggestions on if I should just cut out the whole top? or just a small section and place the light in that cut out section?

1642431945803.png


1642431991719.png
 
You didn't show your canopy, but yes, cut it open. When I build my canopy, I simple built it without a top and hang similar "black boxes" off of what I call a light rail.

Here's the light rail with three fixtures:

1642436538845.png



And here is the light rail sitting in the top of the canopy:

1642437362481.png
 
You didn't show your canopy, but yes, cut it open. When I build my canopy, I simple built it without a top and hang similar "black boxes" off of what I call a light rail.

Here's the light rail with three fixtures:

1642436538845.png



And here is the light rail sitting in the top of the canopy:

1642437362481.png
Sorry I should have specified! I have a corner tank.

that white triangle that the light is sitting on is the canopy.

but yeah I ended up deciding to cut the top open!

thanks!
 
Oh, I see now......but that only looks like it's maybe 4-5 inches high. That's not high enough.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new