Cut Off Brown Tips

hobbyreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
240
Reaction score
214
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shortcake started to brown out from the top several weeks ago. The base is still fully colored up. It appears the brown has stopped (I don't think it's gotten any worse in about 3 weeks). Should I cut off the brown section or leave things alone? This is a horrible pic, but I had to zoom in with my camera and lost image quality.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the browning. All other sticks appear fine. I did move the frag higher in the tank so maybe I shocked it with intense lighting? Just trying to determine if I should remove the brown section?

1607436501423.png



1607436829128.png
 
you saying the tissue is alive but the coral has only lost the zoozanthelle (spelling) ?
one sample but I’d leave it. I got a acro that was brown for months and is just now going back to green ... but this is just the surviving encrusting part, not the actual stick...
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 60
My shortcake started to brown out from the top several weeks ago. The base is still fully colored up. It appears the brown has stopped (I don't think it's gotten any worse in about 3 weeks). Should I cut off the brown section or leave things alone? This is a horrible pic, but I had to zoom in with my camera and lost image quality.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the browning. All other sticks appear fine. I did move the frag higher in the tank so maybe I shocked it with intense lighting? Just trying to determine if I should remove the brown section?

1607436501423.png



1607436829128.png
I wouldn't cut the tips. I am assuming you mean the tips have turned brown but still have skin (as opposed to having lost tissue and been overgrown with algae that now appears brownish in color).
 
Yes the tips appear to have the tissue. They just browned out. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
you saying the tissue is alive but the coral has only lost the zoozanthelle (spelling) ?
one sample but I’d leave it. I got a acro that was brown for months and is just now going back to green ... but this is just the surviving encrusting part, not the actual stick...
Mine is doing the same thing!! Hopefully it comes back...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new