Cutting back

MapleLeafReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a leather - lobophytum maybe, and it's huge. Its nice and all but its taking up too much realestate and blocking flow. I'd like to cut it back but have no idea how to. I really really don't want to remove the rock its on as its kinda load bearing but I think I've read that when you cut these they can release some toxins. So I'm looking for advice on what people recommend and what people have done in the past. I also have a Kenya tree I want to get rid of for the same reason.....same problem with rock and possible toxins. I was going to just get a knife and cut the Kenya ree at the stem but thought I'd better ask you folks first. I have added 2 pics of the leather but none of the Kenya tree. Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

20210613_195735.jpg 20210613_195750.jpg

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at doing the same soon with my Kenya Tree, but running carbon is a no go with a Yellow Tang in the tank, risk of HLLE.

I've heard using extremely sharp scissors, like the kind barbers use, work well too.
I wasn’t aware of the carbon connection, good to know!

However after reading this excerpt from @Jay Hemdal I think I would still do it. Rinsing pelleted carbon well, using a skimmer, and running it for maybe a week doesn’t really fit what seems to have been found in these studies. As with anything, you have to consider risk-benefit. I’m sure people have been running carbon for decades and never seen HLLE. On the flip side, that leather is huge and we know leathers produce toxins that will get released into the water when it’s cut back. So I’d rather reduce the possible risk from carbon as much as possible in order to treat the known and well documented risk of leather toxin.

Just my 2 cents looking at it from a scientific perspective.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t aware of the carbon connection, good to know!

However after reading this excerpt from @Jay Hemdal I think I would still do it. Rinsing pelleted carbon well, using a skimmer, and running it for maybe a week doesn’t really fit what seems to have been found in these studies. As with anything, you have to consider risk-benefit. I’m sure people have been running carbon for decades and never seen HLLE. On the flip side, that leather is huge and we know leathers produce toxins that will get released into the water when it’s cut back. So I’d rather reduce the possible risk from carbon as much as possible in order to treat the known and well documented risk of leather toxin.

Just my 2 cents looking at it from a scientific perspective.
Rox .08 carbon rinses clean pretty quick. You could also run carbon in a finer filter sock to help reduce dust.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at doing the same soon with my Kenya Tree, but running carbon is a no go with a Yellow Tang in the tank, risk of HLLE.

I've heard using extremely sharp scissors, like the kind barbers use, work well too.
Agreed, F the carbon. Kenya splits all the time here, I pick it off and destroy pieces, while I do it unfortunately, to bring back to LFS. The risk is negligible, as compared to running carbon IMO. The leather? Split them too, no issue. Heck I am more worried about warfare with my Nem or other corals than splitting the Leathers. Rest easy imo....

OP
OP
MapleLeafReefer

MapleLeafReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I completely removed the leather, by hand. It wanted to come off the rock and so I peeled it off. No major issues, seemingly no ill effects to the fish or the rest of the corals and much better flow and light. I'm sure there may have been a more scientific procedure for what I did, and in truth I didn't follow up on this thread before removing it, but im glad its gone.
Out of curiosity what is HLLE?

Attachments

• 16260209302578218768846623962282.jpg
    16260209302578218768846623962282.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 42

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I completely removed the leather, by hand. It wanted to come off the rock and so I peeled it off. No major issues, seemingly no ill effects to the fish or the rest of the corals and much better flow and light. I'm sure there may have been a more scientific procedure for what I did, and in truth I didn't follow up on this thread before removing it, but im glad its gone.
Out of curiosity what is HLLE?
Head and lateral line erosion

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back