Cutting Glass -NOT drilling holes

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say i tried drilling a 75 gallon tank and broke it. Now let's just say that i have this crazy idea to turn that 75 gallon tank into a frag tank. I'd like to take the 3 good panels, cut them down and make a shallow frag tank with them. What would i use to cut the glass?
somehow i dont think this will work http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Glass-Cutting-Tool-Kit-22101/202091053 right?
So who has done this? What did you use?

Thanks in advance!

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets say how did it break ?? did it hater into pieces? the issue is with tempers glass

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a regular roller style glass cutter, just take your time, mark one side in even straight lines and crack. your done. but I suggest taking them into a glass company to have it cut professionally. wont cost much, and chances are they will get nice even cuts.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you would use that. I used to work at a glass factory and all you do is score the one side and snap off the piece on the edge of a table. I always used a straight edge to score the edge with the tool like a metal ruler or something. That only works on non tempered glass by the way. Not sure about your tank but the bottom panel could be tempered.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets say how did it break ?? did it hater into pieces? the issue is with tempers glass

It's not tempered. The bit bound up because we didn't hold the drill level on the second hole. It's one long crack down the back. The bottom is tempered though i wasn't planning on using that.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you would use that. I used to work at a glass factory and all you do is score the one side and snap off the piece on the edge of a table. I always used a straight edge to score the edge with the tool like a metal ruler or something. That only works on non tempered glass by the way. Not sure about your tank but the bottom panel could be tempered.

Awesome. I'm going to try it. I can't bare to let my husband throw away all that perfectly good glass.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a regular roller style glass cutter, just take your time, mark one side in even straight lines and crack. your done. but I suggest taking them into a glass company to have it cut professionally. wont cost much, and chances are they will get nice even cuts.

Yes, but I have been warned about spending money on things that are "projects" that involve the tank. So, "wont cost much" doesn't fly with the hubs anymore. He's learned the hard way lol.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my next question is how to get the trim off without damaging the glass. The hubs suggested a screwdriver.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should just be siliconed on. Make sure your new tank isn't glass on glass there's a gap that is all silicone. You will also need to grind down those fresh cut sides.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I new about the silicone in between the panes of glass, but those are great tips! Thanks for that. I'm hoping to tackle this project, or at least the cutting of the glass part this weekend and I'll take pictures of my progress. I'm excited. I love projects like this! :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic putty knife, you can find them at the big box stores.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic putty knife, you can find them at the big box stores.

I actually already have one of those. I'll give that a try as well. Thanks for the tip!

HowUDoin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up some acetone and some rags. Soak a rag, or pour into a paper cup. Have the tank sitting trim down, get the acetone in there so it starts to break down the silicone between glass and trim. Make sure you have ventilation, like out in the driveway, or garage with doors open.

Acetone will make the silicone break down. If the tank is not seperating, use more acetone and take a walk. Same goes for the seams. Be careful on seams, if you force the putty knife too soon, you risk chipping the edge of the glass.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up some acetone and some rags. Soak a rag, or pour into a paper cup. Have the tank sitting trim down, get the acetone in there so it starts to break down the silicone between glass and trim. Make sure you have ventilation, like out in the driveway, or garage with doors open.

Acetone will make the silicone break down. If the tank is not seperating, use more acetone and take a walk. Same goes for the seams. Be careful on seams, if you force the putty knife too soon, you risk chipping the edge of the glass.

Oh wow! I do love specifics! Thanks so much. I happen to have acetone also! This is really shaping up to be a doable job. :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for a glass company. If you can't get a professional to do it, cutting glass on your own isn't that hard. Put the glass on a piece of carpet, and with the roller type glass cutter score the glass where you want the cut using even pressure. Once you score the piece of glass put a pencil under the score line at the edge of the glass and with even light pressure push down on either side of the pencil. The glass should break along the score line nice and clean. It's really not that hard, the key is to use even pressure when scoring the glass. Once a glass is tempered it can't be cut. Laminated glass like windshields are real PIA because you need to score both sides of the glass and once you get the cut in the glass you have to soak the cut with alcohol to melt the laminate that is sandwiched between the to pieces of glass and then you can pull them apart.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for a glass company. If you can't get a professional to do it, cutting glass on your own isn't that hard. Put the glass on a piece of carpet, and with the roller type glass cutter score the glass where you want the cut using even pressure. Once you score the piece of glass put a pencil under the score line at the edge of the glass and with even light pressure push down on either side of the pencil. The glass should break along the score line nice and clean. It's really not that hard, the key is to use even pressure when scoring the glass. Once a glass is tempered it can't be cut. Laminated glass like windshields are real PIA because you need to score both sides of the glass and once you get the cut in the glass you have to soak the cut with alcohol to melt the laminate that is sandwiched between the to pieces of glass and then you can pull them apart.

So with 1/4 inch glass like on my 75, i would only score it once? Is there a certain depth i should make the cut before i try breaking it alone that line?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes score it once, and you don't need to use a lot of pressure. The number one thing beginners do wrong is thinking they need to put a lot of pressure down when they score the glass. The key is even pressure but not that hard but not too light, just enough to feel a groove with your finger nail when you run it over the score line. If done correctly once you put pressure on either side of the pencil under the score line the glass will break along that line neatly. If you can try and practice on some pieces of glass before you try it on the tank glass. After you do it once or twice you'll get a feel for it

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes score it once, and you don't need to use a lot of pressure. The number one thing beginners do wrong is thinking they need to put a lot of pressure down when they score the glass. The key is even pressure but not that hard but not too light, just enough to feel a groove with your finger nail when you run it over the score line. If done correctly once you put pressure on either side of the pencil under the score line the glass will break along that line neatly. If you can try and practice on some pieces of glass before you try it on the tank glass. After you do it once or twice you'll get a feel for it

Awesome and very detailed. Thanks so much! I do have some practice glass i can get the hang of it on first.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back