Cutting glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter sciknen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sciknen

Merrimack Valley Hardcore
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Lowell, Ma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this 125g I'm looking to sell. If I can't sell it i want to cut it up into a frag tank.

Its an older custom 1/2" no support 6 footer.

Id like to shorten it to 10-12" from 18 and keep everything else the same.

I've gotten prices from people from $250 to $500. Kinda ridiculous.

I would like to cut it myself to save some cash. I have a table saw a rotary saw various stuff.

Any ideas guys? I've seen blades online just not sure if its what I'm looking for.
 
Well, I can tell ya that it seems like it would be too dangerous for a non-professional to attempt, but that's just me. If you were you I'd probably just sell it.
 
I have done this on a few frag tanks. $250 to $500 is crazy. I took apart a 75 gallon and turned it into a 48x18x12 rimless frag tank with flat polished edges and black silicone for under $100. I had the glass shop cut and flat polish all the edges and they charged me $65 to cut and flat polish 84 inches of glass.
frag_tank_1.jpg
frag_tank_3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Piano wire to pull apart the glass panes (or similar small guage wire, use a 1" or larger wooden dowel, drill through, insert wire and wrap around, have a handle now)

Clean up as much silicone as possible using a razor blade

take glass panels that you want cut to a glass shop (make sure to mention if any are tempered or not, also make sure to have edges polished)

Reassemble yourself with appropriate silicone.


To truly DIY, you'd spend a lot more on the appropriate glass cutting equipment, and odds are you'd need a few practice runs before risking your expensive glass.
 
I'd sell the tank used...even to a reptile keeper for cheap if you had to, and enjoy the comfort, safety and pleasure of building the new tank from scratch. Its terribly laborious to take a tank apart. And old glass actually doesnt cut well (fresh glass breaks very clean).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new