Cutting off a mushroom

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to remove at least a couple of these and I can't remove the part of the rock they are on. The attachment area is not very big. When I cut them off, will they attach to some rubble if I set them on it?

1632370431886.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a DIY nem removal tool I have been using for years and years. You just need to make a smaller version of it for shrooms. Being as I am useless and do not have pic of said tool, I will ask @Lost in the Sauce to post a pic of one he made recently for some pesky bubble nems.

They trick for shrooms is using a smaller diameter pipe and a smaller sponge. The shroom will want light and crawl up the pipe. From there, it is easy to peel them off and no chance of them growing back.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a DIY nem removal tool I have been using for years and years. You just need to make a smaller version of it for shrooms. Being as I am useless and do not have pic of said tool, I will ask @Lost in the Sauce to post a pic of one he made recently for some pesky bubble nems.

They trick for shrooms is using a smaller diameter pipe and a smaller sponge. The shroom will want light and crawl up the pipe. From there, it is easy to peel them off and no chance of them growing back.
@Eagle_Steve Here's the RFA Canon. It's 1" pipe on a Mr Clean eraser. I've pulled four
PXL_20210923_140609502.jpg
RFAs off of rocks with this. I assume it would work just as well for mushrooms but haven't tried yet.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms are the devil. I like the shroom cannon and ive also found the fastest way to get a shroom to detach is go ahead and accidentally bump a powerhead when your not looking and blast a little too much flow on them lol. Flow is huge ive had them release in matter of minute or 2 never to be seen again.
Always a chance they will leave a little piece of foot behind that will turn into a mushroom eventually.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve Here's the RFA Canon. It's 1" pipe on a Mr Clean eraser. I've pulled four
PXL_20210923_140609502.jpg
RFAs off of rocks with this. I assume it would work just as well for mushrooms but haven't tried yet.
Thanks guys! That's perfect. I can't get a powerhead on it but I have some pvc the right size already. This may be a dumb question, but is the sponge just there to keep it upright?

Also, Lost in the Sauce I saw the pic you posted during the sale Monday. Does your tattoo say "phycho"?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! That's perfect. I can't get a powerhead on it but I have some pvc the right size already. This may be a dumb question, but is the sponge just there to keep it upright?

Also, Lost in the Sauce I saw the pic you posted during the sale Monday. Does your tattoo say "phycho"?
The sponge is there to help hold and attach the tube to the rock work. It's main purpose though is to cut off all light around the tubes so that the only light, your target coral sees is at the end of the tube. This tricks them into thinking they are in a deep cave and they walk out of it. If there is light coming in from the sides they will often try to slip out that way.

Yes the top banner does say psycho but that's only part of an entire chest piece. The whole banner says psychobilly and there's a big psychedelic skull with a mohawk.

Good memory.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge is there to help hold and attach the tube to the rock work. It's main purpose though is to cut off all light around the tubes so that the only light, your target coral sees is at the end of the tube. This tricks them into thinking they are in a deep cave and they walk out of it. If there is light coming in from the sides they will often try to slip out that way.

Yes the top banner does say psycho but that's only part of an entire chest piece. The whole banner says psychobilly and there's a big psychedelic skull with a mohawk.

Good memory.
Wow, that was no "out drunk with my friends" tattoo!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that was no "out drunk with my friends" tattoo!
Nope. It is also unfinished after four, two hour sessions because that's as long as I can stand it. The chest plate is in my opinion the worst place to get drilled.

I'd do both of my ribs and armpits before I hit my chest again. It's that bad.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It is also unfinished after four, two hour sessions because that's as long as I can stand it. The chest plate is in my opinion the worst place to get drilled.

I'd do both of my ribs and armpits before I hit my chest again. It's that bad.
I got my both my lil man's on my chest bro. Been 6 yrs since last sesh and haven't had the guts to go back and get last piece finished. But man when they get in and around the underarm to upper Rib, nips and chest plate though! Pretty sure I dropped a few tears.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to remove at least a couple of these and I can't remove the part of the rock they are on. The attachment area is not very big. When I cut them off, will they attach to some rubble if I set them on it?

1632370431886.png
Going back up here, Why can't you cut off the attachment point? Live rock is usually quite porous and can be cut with a sharp chisel in a pairing motion. A very slow controlled slice, 1/8" into the rock using only the muscles in your hands, primarily your thumb muscle to support and move the chisel slowly with control.

I've fragged probably 50 rhodactus mushrooms and yumas using this technique. I've never lost one after.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my both my lil man's on my chest bro. Been 6 yrs since last sesh and haven't had the guts to go back and get last piece finished. But man when they get in and around the underarm to upper Rib, nips and chest plate though! Pretty sure I dropped a few tears.
I've gotten most of the bad places tattooed.. chest takes the cake every day of the week.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back up here, Why can't you cut off the attachment point? Live rock is usually quite porous and can be cut with a sharp chisel in a pairing motion. A very slow controlled slice, 1/8" into the rock using only the muscles in your hands, primarily your thumb muscle to support and move the chisel slowly with control.

I've fragged probably 50 rhodactus mushrooms and yumas using this technique. I've never lost one after.
They are all in little crevices or holes. Maybe I can get them off that way, but I looked at them when they were closed last night and thought it would be a whole lot of rock digging to get them out and would be a lot easier to cut them off and plug up the holes they were in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back