Cyano, a bit confused though

Cscott19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a bit of cyano, but confused as to why. The setup is only 3.5 months old.
I keep reading high nutrients can be the culprit, but my nutrients are not high. A little out of balance being new, but certainly not high.
My nitrate is 7.7 and phosphates are .00-.01 (did two separate tests yesterday)
Alk is 8.63, PH (daytime) is 8.19 mag is 1347 (calcium is 462, trident needs recalibrated I believe, going to do a salifert test later tonight)
I have been running a cheap coralvue UV, but just plumbed up and installed a 25watt Pentair last night (it’s currently running at around 240gph I don’t have a flow meter yet, but timed a half gallon then did the simple math)
Flow is good and at night when the hammers, torches are somewhat closed up I run the flow pretty heavy for 5 minutes every two hours to pull anything that might of settled in the corners etc out.
Tank inhabitants
Two Disbar Anthias’s
Two hooded fairy wrasses
One Ornate wrasse
Two Black Snowflake clowns

corals
Three Large Acon colonies
Two torches
Several Hammers (I love Hammers)
Two head Frammer
8 head Duncan
Monti frag
Lobo
Pectinia
Bubblegum Digi
Bill Murray
Pink Lemonade
Red Dragon

Coral Feeding schedule
AB+ once a week
Reef Roids (target feed) once a week
Blend of Phyto Feed with a small amount of ROE twice a week.

Fish are fed
Mysis
Reef Frenzy
Supplemented with Garlic infused Flake twice a week (very small amount)

Pineapplereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a bit of cyano, but confused as to why. The setup is only 3.5 months old.
I keep reading high nutrients can be the culprit, but my nutrients are not high. A little out of balance being new, but certainly not high.
My nitrate is 7.7 and phosphates are .00-.01 (did two separate tests yesterday)
It's the phosphates bottoming out that's the problem. Cyano isn't triggered by high nutrients, it's out of balance nutrients.

OP
OP
C

Cscott19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why.
It being new?
If so should I continue on and let it run it’s course? It’s not enough yet to manually remove it.
I did use a scraper and run the top layer of substrate into a net. Then cleaned the small amount of substrate and put it back in. Cleaned means rinsed it with RODI.

Back