Cyano...After Vibrant

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through many posts I see that I am not the only one having issues after using vibrant. My green hair algae is completely gone along with my bubble algae. But now I am dealing with cyanobacteria. I have cut back on my feeding I run an upflow algae scrubber I run npx pellets, as well as an oversized skimmer, skimming wet. Just wanted to see what everyone else was doing to combat the cyanobacteria.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should go away IMO. there's fuel in vibrant for bacteria. some folks are trying the chemiclean.

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to stay away from going the chemical route. Never had cyano.. I see blackouts may work. Should I be doing large water changes?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to stay away from going the chemical route. Never had cyano.. I see blackouts may work. Should I be doing large water changes?
if your nitrates are high, yea. and I prob would after using vibrant. just dilution. is good. The common theory now is either the additional carbon source fueling the cyano, or the newly dissolved organics(dead algae).
personally I'm a fan of cleaning and using beneficial bacterias.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's the dead/dying algae fueling cyano....
Once everything else is gone, the cyano starts dying back and completely goes away.
If you add new frags and or rocks it fuels an explosion of algaes ive noticed and they grow at breakneck speed!

So once everything is gone, don't add any new items to the tank and dial back the vibrant to once every 10-14 days and observe.
Your tank will look beautiful and crystal clear

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped vibrant as of now.. One I get this under control ill try 1x every 2 weeks

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had BHA bad that appeared almost overnight. Used Vibrant and there is no trace after one month. I used 5 ml a week for a 72 gal tank and have no cyano issues. Do you think my less aggressive approach helped? I now use only 3 ml of Vibrant a week for "maintenance" to be sure the algae does not come back. I also did larger than normal water changes that first month. Any thoughts would be appreciated. No changes to lights or anything else.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally Id not ever use it as maintenance. too much other weird stuff from folks using it.

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so removed as much rock as I could- figures I broke my beautiful red cap monti :( still have cyano on some rock... If I turkey baste it off without siphon will it matter or WILL it land somewhere else and Stewart growing there ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so removed as much rock as I could- figures I broke my beautiful red cap monti :( still have cyano on some rock... If I turkey baste it off without siphon will it matter or WILL it land somewhere else and Stewart growing there ?
dang. bummer bout the monti!
I do like to siphon out what I can, but its a bacteria so imo its always in the system, sometimes not enough we can see. I usually blow it off, just to stop it from collecting or to make sure it doesn't smother corals. And it bugs me to look at:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's really cyano, a little peroxide would be devastating on it. Jus' sayin'.....
true dat! My only conservative view is one treatment has left the system unstable. so Id let it rest before I did a different treatment.
were all (here on r2r) still trying to figure exactly the what and why of Vibrant. Handy tool, but it does come at some cost in some cases.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that after my Vibrant induced cyano outbreak I stopped using Vibrant and pulled my GFO. I scrubbed my rocks and changed filter socks daily. I also could not get any measurable nitrates so I dosed some stump remover to get to 20ppm. That got rid of my cyano in under 2 weeks and within 4 days of getting my nitrates stable. (Was shocked at how much stump remover I had to add, it just kept disappearing!)

Sometimes that old school elbow grease is the best cure.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbubbling helps my cyano. Some complain that it collects under their rock. If this is true for you then you don't have enough flow through/under your rocks. Which you should have anyway regardless of microbubbling because gasses can collect there too and nuke your tank. So if your bubbles pool under your rocks get extra flow there.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that after my Vibrant induced cyano outbreak I stopped using Vibrant and pulled my GFO. I scrubbed my rocks and changed filter socks daily. I also could not get any measurable nitrates so I dosed some stump remover to get to 20ppm. That got rid of my cyano in under 2 weeks and within 4 days of getting my nitrates stable. (Was shocked at how much stump remover I had to add, it just kept disappearing!)

Sometimes that old school elbow grease is the best cure.
What stump remover are you using?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back