Cyano...After Vibrant

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at week 8 of dosing Vibrant. My hair and bubble algae are just about completely eradicated. I've had a cyano outbreak for the last 4 weeks. I've just been blowing it off the rocks and corals and vacuuming the sand bed.

Any idea how long the cyan outbreak will last?
It will last until it runs out of dying and dead organics to feed off of.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a 28 page thread of curing cyano just by cleaning the tank correctly. no testing, dosing, no further hesitation etc.

I believe I can make the claim now its the most cyano fixes in one thread.
Im aware of 200 page cyano thread, this is different. Its before and after, over and over. the other 200 pager was just befores and then studying various options. after pics were every 10 pages if that.

we can clean your tank to cyano freedom, send me all your vibrant clean up jobs pls we'll log them in the sand rinse thread. we'll be rinsing your entire sandbed all at once then putting it back without recycling. not complicated. the reason there's only one thread on this is because it used to be a rule that accessing sand=recycle. we made new rules.

Last edited:

ducki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after using vibrant for around 4-5wks at double dose to clear GHA, I am also getting crazy green cyano all over my rocks, sand and backwall green film algae covering coralline. Glass is very clean though, only slight brownish every 2 weeks or so which I then clean. But this green cyano is driving me crazy, snails are also dying slowly, lost all my trochus and 2 strombus. I only have around 4 small turbo and 1 strombus left as cleanup, no fish grazer. So I don't know if this outbreak is due to lack of cleanup crew or dead GHA fueling the cyano. Tried 3-4 days black out with no effect. I'm trying h202 now for a week and haven't seen any changes... I too am waiting to see when this will be over... never dealt with green cyano before.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vs waiting, why not effect that surgical cleaning I mentioned above. That sand rinse thread is kicked up now in the general forum, its like 200 tanks ran through surgery then set up cyano free, with recent updates. no need for this to be a months long loss, we can interrupt that. how many gallons is your tank

ducki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vs waiting, why not effect that surgical cleaning I mentioned above. That sand rinse thread is kicked up now in the general forum, its like 200 tanks ran through surgery then set up cyano free, with recent updates. no need for this to be a months long loss, we can interrupt that. how many gallons is your tank

I have spent the last few days reading your sand rinsing thread, 29 pages.. took a toll on me :)
I am tempted but not prepared to do it yet due to lack of cleanup crew. If I tear down now and complete cleanup sand, with the small amount of snails I currently have, problem might come back again due to can't control algae.

Also, all previous examples are done on pico and nano tanks. Was looking for job done on larger 100+g tanks but didn't see any.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biology isn't different between any size tank, only the work load. outcomes will be consistent across volumes
nice last resort to consider at least~~ !

The best trick for large tanks is to delay sandbed being put back. Keep it out till main tank complies, then add back sterilized sand

Last edited:

GeTanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biology isn't different between any size tank, only the work load. outcomes will be consistent across volumes
nice last resort to consider at least~~ !

The best trick for large tanks is to delay sandbed being put back. Keep it out till main tank complies, then add back sterilized sand

Any luck cleaning the sandbed a section at a time? I have an 8' 250g with a 1"-3" sandbed and have several sand sifting critters I don't want to stress out (pistol shrimp, diamond goby, fighting conch, sand sifting sea star, snails, pods). I also just recently have had a big cyano outbreak that I think could have caused by two things:
A- I blew tons of detritus out of my live rock, then vacuumed half of my sand (I hadn't done either since starting the tank 1.5 yrs ago)
2- I increased the light intenisty and white color on my Kessils

Since the outbreak I turned off the white levels completely.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank of that much dilution it’s prob ok to do sections we just find the all in one to be the best use of time and organic reset really hammers back invasions in a way corals and fish don’t mind. I agree on a huge tank sectional cleaning is about all that’s practical

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of dosing anything "unnatural" and I define unnatural as something I don't have solid information on. As a result, I stayed away from Vibrant and Chemiclean for years.

I recently gave in and treated my tank with Vibrant. The algae problem disappeared, but it was quickly replaced by a cyano outbreak. I tried removing it, feeding less, etc., all to no avail. Soooo....

I tried Chemiclean. At the recommended dose for my tank, my skimmer went NUTS for a full week. I did 6, 25% water changes of that week. When everything settled down, I finally have a tank that is sparkling clean and healthy. I went to a maintenance dose of Vibrant once a week. I could not be happier.

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill throw my experience into the hat......
I have an 80gal which has been set up for about 1.5yrs no coral yet only live rock and fish....

I have been dealing with a horrible outbreak of bubble algae for basically the entire 1.5yrs.....

So i decided to give Vibrant a try......so about 8 weeks ago i started dosing vibrant once per week........and now the bubble algae is gone!!!

About two weeks into the program i noticed the glass was sooo clean.....and the bubvle algae started to die off about 6 weeks in. And now it is almost completely gone...i can only see a couple polyps and they are almost dead.

I am experiencing what i thought was diatoms or dino's on the sand bed and on the overflow box on the back of the tank......it has gotten progressively worse over the past two weeks......

The color is a greenish brown and doesnt seem to have that blanket look that i am used to seeing cyano. None on the live rock...maybe because most is encrusted in coralline algae

I havent decided what to do yet and im not so upset because i finally got rid of the bubble algae....im thinking the diatoms/ dinos/cyano or whatever it is will be easier to deal with than the bubble algae....

RobertT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid hair algae, the cyano comes back and you will get rid of cyano when the hair algae come back. They out-compete each other for resources and the only way to get rid of both is to put something in your tank that will out-compete both.

For me, I solved my algae problem by putting an island of pulsing Xenia Coral in my tank with a UV sterilizer. Within 2 weeks all the cyano was gone and there was a lot, to begin with and the Xenia have minimized the return of other algae in my tank

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through many posts I see that I am not the only one having issues after using vibrant. My green hair algae is completely gone along with my bubble algae. But now I am dealing with cyanobacteria. I have cut back on my feeding I run an upflow algae scrubber I run npx pellets, as well as an oversized skimmer, skimming wet. Just wanted to see what everyone else was doing to combat the cyanobacteria.
How long did it take you to get rid of green hair algae. Just started my second dose of vibrant. Using weekly due to heavy green hair algae. I had to remove the rock and clean it a little. I was about to use a weed eater to get the job done

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back