Cyano after Vibrant!!!

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week since I started Vibrant and I have a huge cyano outbreak going on. This happened a few months ago when I first tried Vibrant to get rid of bubble algae and I immediatey stopped and resorted to Chemiclean which never fully cleaned up the cyano. After reading up more on Vibrant, I found that a cyano outbreak may occur but to keep dosing it every other week and it will eventually take care of it. I just need reassurance that this is accurate and to not freak out yet, just wait until next week and dose again.
IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vibrant also packs a potent organic carbon source. Carbon dosing. Like vodka , cyano happens as a side effect.

My self , I’d stay the course till you see stuff die. Maybe up the water changes to weekly. I’m not a fan of mixed methods.

IMO , cyano is not a bad thing just ugly. You could try a black out and see what happens though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I must be a slob. I do 5g every other in my 55 with a sump.
Prob 60g total.

Personally, I’d also be dumping dr Tim’s in there after water changes and wouldn’t use the chemiclean. It’s an indescrminnate killer.

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why size tank you have but be very careful if under 30 gallons.

I just had an awful experience with vibrant that led to cloudy water, death of a shrimp and multiple corals in a very quick time span. If you are using it I suggest use even less than the suggested amount.

Many have claimed to have success but I’ll never use it again and hope it goes well for you.

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not questioning anyone, but are you guys sure about this? I don't have an issue with cloudy water or anything, the cyano is just getting worse. I have a water change scheduled for Thursday and that would be my next Vibrant dosing. I hust want to make sure I'm not harming anything and the tank will eventually thrive
IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a gigantic vibrant thread here. It’s a long read but that’s what it’s there for.
First hand user experience. Data.

My observation of tanks with really no algae but they used anyway was cyano in many cases. Sometimes not. Some thatvhad massive algae got lots of Algae die off also had cyano. Rarely did not. But that’s a lot of alge dying so it’s expecred.
Some folks had some algae and it died and never got cyano. My observation was it’s rare.

Somthing in vibrant targets algae and kills it. Like nothing else on the market.
On the label there is a carbon source listed.
Between the two it means there’s a whole lot of food in the tank.
Invert , mostly snail, loss was noted.
You can review that finding in the thread
There were also hundreds of vibrant threads shortly after it was sold.

Going back into the start of this thread , what were you trying to get rid of this time?

My advice above is to kill off the algae you want, there will micro flora loss , be patient with the cyano and then replace the micro flora healthfully. There is a certain amount I think we need in a tank.
Or stop using it and kill whatever another way.
Both ways work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back