Cyano and Triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been asked before but I'm getting frustrated. My system is 4+ years old and rarely dealt with Cyano. I switched to triton appx 3-4 months ago and now I can't seem to get rid of it. I did chemiclean back to back over 2 weeks (yes I did do the required water change) but it never really got rid of it. parameters are good with Nitrate at 2-3 and PO4 at appx .003. I have not change feeding schedules, flow, or anything else since converting. Any Ideas?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because I have really bad cyano. No water changes since November 2017, and my NO3 is 20 and PO4 is 0.03. I can say after 5 months of very think mats, it is finally staring to subside and I can actually see rocks now. Nothing is bothered by the cyano except me, so my current plan is to ride it out. I'm treating it like new tank uglies and waiting for the system to find it's balance.

I'm guessing the cyano outbreaks that seem more common with Triton, is one reason they developed the N-DOC test.
9E72A885-A626-4C32-9EA8-5A5C47C76FE0.png

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed Chemi-clean, but it didn't work, then you didn't dose the correct amount. That product always works. You've got to dose the exact amount per the instructions on the package by accurately measuring your water volume including sump volume, tank volume, displacement from rock. Do a first dose, a water change, and a second dose if it is stubborn. After the second dose it should be completely gone. The water change should include physical removal of any visible cyano. Take a length of airline tubing and siphon it all off the rocks and vaccum the sand bed.

OP
OP
J

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of the 4 years I used chemiclean a few times and it worked perfectly. Not so these past 2 rounds

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad cyano and dino outbreak in my Triton tank when my chaeto fuge took my NO3 and Po4 to 0.00. Was forced to chemiclean to treat the cyano which worked well with no return after a few months. Bummer it's not working for your tank. My guess as to the prevalence of outbreaks in Triton tanks is due to over filtration which is easy to do with a large fuge and skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back