Cyano in my 20L

bigmoose52

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2022
Messages
14
Reaction score
9
Location
baltimore
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting cyano over the rocks and gravel of my softie tank and I’m trying to find the cause of it. I’ve tried running dr Tim’s re fresh and waste away and it comes back within a few days. I’ve added bacteria. I’m just looking for input on what I should do.

I have about a year old 20 long
1.5” carribsea black
15+ lbs of dry life rock
Rs-75 sump
Aquatop xyclone skimmer
Mag drive 3 return
HOB pf- nano overflow
Jebao sow-3
2 ai 16s running 7 hours a day

1.25 salinity
8.7 ph
Alk- 9.8
Po- .23
Nitrates 2.35
Ammonia-0
Nitrites -0

2 storm clowns
Fire shrimp
A few (3-4) of each : nasarius, blue hermits, astreas. I ordered a clean up crew and a lot start dropping when the cyano broke out
A couple torches/frogspawn
A bunch of mushrooms
A couple tYpes of star polyps
zoas


feed 1/3 cube mysis every other day

Bag of just carbon in the filter sock

5 gallon weekly water changes with ro/di and instant ocean

Change the filter sock every 2-3 days
 
Last edited:
I keep getting cyano over the rocks and gravel of my softie tank and I’m trying to find the cause of it. I’ve tried running dr Tim’s re fresh and waste away and it comes back within a few days. I’ve added bacteria. I’m just looking for input on what I should do.

I have about a year old 20 long
1.5” carribsea black
15+ lbs of dry life rock
Rs-75 sump
Aquatop xyclone skimmer
Mag drive 3 return
HOB pf- nano overflow
Jebao sow-3
2 ai 16s running 7 hours a day

1.25 salinity
8.7 ph
Alk- 9.8
Po- .23
Nitrates 2.35
Ammonia-0
Nitrites -0

2 storm clowns
Fire shrimp
A few (3-4) of each : nasarius, blue hermits, astreas. I ordered a clean up crew and a lot start dropping when the cyano broke out
A couple torches/frogspawn
A bunch of mushrooms
A couple tYpes of star polyps
zoas


feed 1/3 cube mysis every other day

Bag of just carbon in the filter sock

5 gallon weekly water changes with ro/di and instant ocean

Change the filter sock every 2-3 days
Elevated phosphate likely your cause
You want range 04 - 06. Do good water change siphoning cyano, reduce white lights or turn off all lights for 3-5 days , add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day for one week
After the week, add snails such as nerite, trochus, margarita and cerith which will help with control
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new