Cyano mat formers destruction the new way forward!

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all well you might have seen me in other threads arguing for understanding bacteria and better ecological ways forward. Well I'm here to introduce you to some new thoughts on cyano mat formers. I mean we all know it's an imbalance in the aquarium, usually cited as some nutrient issue. However maybe when we focus like that we miss the big picture and how life works in the unforgiving ocean. So let's take a quick look at this paper right here...

Now I'm at home so haven't seen the full text yet but wow! I mean as someone who has worked in biocontrol (using biological agents to reduce the population of another biological entity) this makes perfect sense.

Tldr: if you have an aquarium with healthy bacteriovores (ciliates) and something else that loves the mucilage (rotifers in this instance) you will likely have less cyano problems.

And as I think of joining the reef business world combinations like these will make good products that are biologically and scientifically sound.

Thanks all!
Eric
#bacteriarule

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow,that it why my seahorse tank never ,ever got cyano! :cool:

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can these rotifers be purchased to add to my tank. I feed frozen rotifers to one of my tanks, is this the same thing or do they need to be live unfrozen?

Yes unfortunately they would have to be alive, and furthermore we (as scientists) will have to figure out what species might work the best in our aquariums. Plus you'll need a decent predatory ciliate population which again will have to be determined.

Did you start an aquarium with all dry rock? Have you added anything from a tropical ocean or from a tank that has rock/sand from a tropical area of the oceans?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes unfortunately they would have to be alive, and furthermore we (as scientists) will have to figure out what species might work the best in our aquariums. Plus you'll need a decent predatory ciliate population which again will have to be determined.

Did you start an aquarium with all dry rock? Have you added anything from a tropical ocean or from a tank that has rock/sand from a tropical area of the oceans?

Yes, i have a tank thats been going for about 4 months that was started from dry rock. I did use "live" sand though. Ive added several things but not sure of all the origins. i suppose some where along the line something came from a tropical ocean or from a tank that had something from a tropical ocean.

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i have a tank thats been going for about 4 months that was started from dry rock. I did use "live" sand though. Ive added several things but not sure of all the origins. i suppose some where along the line something came from a tropical ocean or from a tank that had something from a tropical ocean.

If you run into issues their are suppliers of substrates from the ocean. They can go from no risk of large problematic hitchhikers to high risk depending. Like true live sand (sand directly from the ocean) is low risk and live rock is high risk. However even with this high risk live rock usually delivers high reward ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back