Old Ways vs New Ways of Reefing

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m doing some research to support my beliefs and experiences about the new ways of reefing. My question is a little bit more for the old timers like me who’ve done things the old way and new way.

I’ve been reefing for over 25 years and seen many changes over those years. One of the biggest changes I’ve seen is the use of dead rock and bottled bacterias to start tanks. In the old days we used ocean rock and that was pretty much it. No dead rock. No adding pods. No adding bacteria. Etc. Today the focus is avoiding pests and working to be careful about any additions to the tank. The “ugly phase” used to be maybe a week or two then everything balanced out. Today it seems like the first year of owning a tank is working to get to that point of balance. And in my opinion, much more expensive. Constant additions of bottled bacterias, chemicals, and pods is very costly.

Over a year ago, I setup a new tank using the newer methods. I did a negative space aquascape using dead Marco rocks. Did a fishless cycle. Then I introduced QT fish and QT CUC, All corals were dipped in peroxide and Coral Rx. All these preventative measures didn’t seem to help as some nasty periods arose that I never experienced on any of my other tanks. Various bacteria incidents such as cyano, various algaes of all different types, and dreaded dinos. Nutrients also seem to fluctuate more than days past. After a year, the tank is close to being where I want it. But it took over a year.

None of the 3 tanks I setup prior to this one had any of these issues. They were all started with established live rock. Specifically ocean rock. I understand the belief today is to avoid ocean rock as it may have various pests.

So my question is for those who’ve done both methods, did you have similar experiences? Was your ocean live rock tank easier to maintain, faster to cycle, need less additives like pods and bacterias, have shorter or no ugly periods, and generally more rewarding? Or do you prefer the new ways over the old ways?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both and still wouldn't start off with live ocean of lfs rock. I like being able to have some control over what enters my tank. All tanks end up at the same place regardless of the method used. Next time I want to try rock from bommie reef since it seems like the best of both

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased TBSW live rock and sand on my last build. I will never go back to dry. I have a thriving reef in less than 6 months. I added coral including acro in the first week or two

I just posted the above on another post a few minutes ago. I have set up 3 reef tanks all dry and struggled and was not happy. You can look at my tank journal and see my first attempt. On the last page is my live rock build. You can see how fast it went from build to nice reef.

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both and still wouldn't start off with live ocean of lfs rock. I like being able to have some control over what enters my tank. All tanks end up at the same place regardless of the method used. Next time I want to try rock from bommie reef since it seems like the best of both
Thank you for the feedback! What happened with ocean rock that would prevent you from wanting to use it?

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased TBSW live rock and sand on my last build. I will never go back to dry. I have a thriving reef in less than 6 months. I added coral including acro in the first week or two

I just posted the above on another post a few minutes ago. I have set up 3 reef tanks all dry and struggled and was not happy. You can look at my tank journal and see my first attempt. On the last page is my live rock build. You can see how fast it went from build to nice reef.
Thank you! I’ll check it out.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 80 lbs of indo rock and added some marco on my current tank. The info was cured to the point of having almost no life on it. Tank has been running for a few months & the indo rock looks pretty good, the Marco looks like crap, has various stages of nuisance algae on it. Apparently I had enough real rock in there the tank seems much more stable than the last two tanks I set up with dry rock only

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 80 lbs of indo rock and added some marco on my current tank. The info was cured to the point of having almost no life on it. Tank has been running for a few months & the indo rock looks pretty good, the Marco looks like crap, has various stages of nuisance algae on it. Apparently I had enough real rock in there the tank seems much more stable than the last two tanks I set up with dry rock only
Great feedback, thank you!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s no bottled bacteria that will ever equal or come close to providing the diversity of life that real live rock, coral frags, rubble or sand from an established system will. I tried dry rock once……. once. I’ll only add small rubble like pieces of dry rock to an established tank. In fact, I’ll say that dry rock is the worst way to start a tank for new reefers, simply because they have no reference to how closed systems work or what to look for, etc. Now if LFS would get smart, they would offer pest free cured “dry rock” for sale that’s been inoculated with real live rock. But as a veteran of this hobby, I’ll never start a tank with dry rock and bottled bacteria, I’m fine with the pests and everything else that comes with real rock. Dinos were never a big thing years ago, but now they are so commonplace, it’s ridiculous. Cue the old man screaming at clouds meme.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tuesday April 19, 2022
Water, rock and sand went in
20220419_184151_Original.jpeg

Tuesday April 26, 2022
Multiple corals including SPS went in
20220426_200821_Original.jpeg

Wednesday May 4, 2022
Started moving all coral from other tank in
20220504_204723_Original.jpeg

Well over 95% of the rock was dry. One bag of Ocean Direct sand was added with the rest being dry. Haven’t lost a coral to this day in this tank knock on wood

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar experience with dry vs live start. Current setup was started dry and I’ve never ran into more issues with Dino’s/nutrient imbalance. A little over a year in and the tank is still working things out. First three tanks I had almost a decade ago never had any of these problems. Needless to say, I will be purchasing live rock the next set up.

Personally, I think we lose some of the potential microbial biodiversity critical to maintaining a well balanced ecosystem by choosing to start with a “blank” canvas. In theory, this may make it easier for pests like Dino’s and cyano to dominate.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've had a tank of some sort nonstop for about 20 years. That stated, I've started each new system for the past 10 or so years the same way. When starting a new system, I throw a couple of bags of seachem biomatrix into the sump of a currently running system and leave it there for a few months to seed the new system. Once I finally get the new system set up (they always take longer than I anticipate) I grab the newly seeded bags of matrix and toss them into the new tank. They are always ready for livestock on day one using this method. I just started a up a new growout system recently and placed a couple of acro frags in it as soon as the water was up to temp. They've been in the tank for about a week and look perfectly fine so far. 3 fish and 10 turbo snails went in today. So far so good with those guys too.

I will admit, I'm a little hesitant to drop all of my jawbreakers into the new system (they will live in the sump... the intent with this new system is to maximize efficiency and use up all available coral growing real estate). Not because I don't think they will do well, but more so because I have so many, and they're doing just fine where they're at now. In another week or two, they will be moved over as well.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is for those who’ve done both methods, did you have similar experiences? Was your ocean live rock tank easier to maintain, faster to cycle, need less additives like pods and bacterias, have shorter or no ugly periods, and generally more rewarding? Or do you prefer the new ways over the old ways?

I prefer the old ways. I've been at this since I was a teen so its been 30 years.
Definitely agree with you regarding the live rock.

In my humble opinion, natural live rock is superior not for the initial diversity but for the porosity.
We can't beat mother nature.
This is all just my opinion and humble experience.

Here is what I've found. See this thread I made along time ago. I cut up natural live rock and cut up artificial limestone 'liverock'.

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no bottled bacteria that will ever equal or come close to providing the diversity of life that real live rock, coral frags, rubble or sand from an established system will. I tried dry rock once……. once. I’ll only add small rubble like pieces of dry rock to an established tank. In fact, I’ll say that dry rock is the worst way to start a tank for new reefers, simply because they have no reference to how closed systems work or what to look for, etc. Now if LFS would get smart, they would offer pest free cured “dry rock” for sale that’s been inoculated with real live rock. But as a veteran of this hobby, I’ll never start a tank with dry rock and bottled bacteria, I’m fine with the pests and everything else that comes with real rock. Dinos were never a big thing years ago, but now they are so commonplace, it’s ridiculous. Cue the old man screaming at clouds meme.
Great feedback, thank you!

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday April 19, 2022
Water, rock and sand went in
20220419_184151_Original.jpeg

Tuesday April 26, 2022
Multiple corals including SPS went in
20220426_200821_Original.jpeg

Wednesday May 4, 2022
Started moving all coral from other tank in
20220504_204723_Original.jpeg

Well over 95% of the rock was dry. One bag of Ocean Direct sand was added with the rest being dry. Haven’t lost a coral to this day in this tank knock on wood
Thank you! Have you dosed bacteria? Or pods? How have your ugly phases been? Short or non-existent?

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar experience with dry vs live start. Current setup was started dry and I’ve never ran into more issues with Dino’s/nutrient imbalance. A little over a year in and the tank is still working things out. First three tanks I had almost a decade ago never had any of these problems. Needless to say, I will be purchasing live rock the next set up.

Personally, I think we lose some of the potential microbial biodiversity critical to maintaining a well balanced ecosystem by choosing to start with a “blank” canvas. In theory, this may make it easier for pests like Dino’s and cyano to dominate.
Thank you! Totally agree.

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a tank of some sort nonstop for about 20 years. That stated, I've started each new system for the past 10 or so years the same way. When starting a new system, I throw a couple of bags of seachem biomatrix into the sump of a currently running system and leave it there for a few months to seed the new system. Once I finally get the new system set up (they always take longer than I anticipate) I grab the newly seeded bags of matrix and toss them into the new tank. They are always ready for livestock on day one using this method. I just started a up a new growout system recently and placed a couple of acro frags in it as soon as the water was up to temp. They've been in the tank for about a week and look perfectly fine so far. 3 fish and 10 turbo snails went in today. So far so good with those guys too.

I will admit, I'm a little hesitant to drop all of my jawbreakers into the new system (they will live in the sump... the intent with this new system is to maximize efficiency and use up all available coral growing real estate). Not because I don't think they will do well, but more so because I have so many, and they're doing just fine where they're at now. In another week or two, they will be moved over as well.
Thank you! Did you dose bacterias or pods? How were your ugly phases?

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the old ways. I've been at this since I was a teen so its been 30 years.
Definitely agree with you regarding the live rock.

In my humble opinion, natural live rock is superior not for the initial diversity but for the porosity.
We can't beat mother nature.
This is all just my opinion and humble experience.

Here is what I've found. See this thread I made along time ago. I cut up natural live rock and cut up artificial limestone 'liverock'.

Great stuff, thank you!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back