Cyano on sandbed

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting cyano in the same spots everyday. I will stir it away but it will return in a few hours only in the same spots. My phos is .07 and nitrate 3ppm. That area does not have a lot of sand. I will be changing my sandbed to a larger grain soon slowly

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flow pretty low there?
The cyano is getting hit with flow in the area. Rest of the tank is fine
721A1082-2873-40EE-BBE6-5D46C564B2E9.jpeg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevate nitrates to around 10ppm, stir the sandbed at night and immediately add a few ml of distilled white vinegar + a healthy dose of beneficial bacteria. Your display will cloud up for a day or two, but it’ll do a number on cyano and help keep it from coming back. If you’re going to keep your phosphates where they are, try to keep nitrates between 5-10ppm.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I was thinking about it, can it upset corals? My rocks now are finally growing coralline, and have very little algae on them now
ChemiClean is amazing stuff. I had it bad in my 220....sand, rocks, etc. 85% gone overnight and 100% gone in 2 days. No corals or fish were visibly affected. Took Skimmer cup off to promote more aeration in the system.

It was like magic and it has not returned weeks later.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same situation here. Chemiclean will work, but I have always had it come back, and only in the sandbed. Rocks are pefectly covered in coraline.

I simply suck it out during a WC into a filter sock, bleach the sand overnight, rinse in RO/DI, and prime, and let it air dry for a couple weeks, then add it back in later on.

If I don't do that during my weekly maintenance, it gets as bad as your pick.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevate nitrates to around 10ppm, stir the sandbed at night and immediately add a few ml of distilled white vinegar + a healthy dose of beneficial bacteria. Your display will cloud up for a day or two, but it’ll do a number on cyano and help keep it from coming back. If you’re going to keep your phosphates where they are, try to keep nitrates between 5-10ppm.
I was considering using the bright stuff to raise them. I am feeding more. I tried to stop dosing aminos to see if the cyano would go away for a week and it didnt.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't do that during my weekly maintenance, it gets as bad as your pick.
[/QUOTE]
Yesterday i stirred it up and it was all white, and it came back overnight. Ive been stirring it for about a month before that with no issues on my parameters. Corals are happy and growing, its just looks ugly

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is good advice.
Chemical removals are fine but if you have not fixed the problem, it just comes back.
The stir did not do much for me like you said, stir to white, back next morning.

i did increase my nutrients up to 15ppm and Phos to .1.
I siphoned the stuff out every second day, it took about 3 weeks, then got less each day.
After a month I was back to white sand.
I’ve left my nutrients at the above level now for months, no problems.

D34AB016-3005-4632-95A6-F4D1049D3DE4.jpeg

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean lead me into dinos, yes it works but I'll never use it again. I use microbacter7 and reef biofuel from brightwell. That's my go to

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is good advice.
Chemical removals are fine but if you have not fixed the problem, it just comes back.
The stir did not do much for me like you said, stir to white, back next morning.

i did increase my nutrients up to 15ppm and Phos
I plan on increasing them slowly with the birghtwell neonitro, did you see an increase of algae growth with higher nitrates?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on increasing them slowly with the birghtwell neonitro, did you see an increase of algae growth with higher nitrates?
My DT is 3 years mature, so I have no algae anywhere.
I can run N at 25ppm and P at .2 and have no algae.
The more maturity, the more you can push nutrients and lighting.
I might have some concern on a newer set up.
I would be more concerned if phosphates increased, and you can always back off lighting a bit.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 3 years mature, so I have no algae anywhere.
I can run N at 25ppm and P at .2 and have no algae.
The more maturity, the more you can push nutrients and lighting.
I might have some concern on a newer set up.
I would be more concerned if phosphates increased, and you can always back off lighting a bit.
My tanks been up for about 1.5 years. Thanks

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean is amazing stuff. I had it bad in my 220....sand, rocks, etc. 85% gone overnight and 100% gone in 2 days. No corals or fish were visibly affected. Took Skimmer cup off to promote more aeration in the system.

It was like magic and it has not returned weeks later.
I have had success with it to

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back