Cyano on sandbed

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what is your alk? Dr. Jean Jaubert noted that having a higher alk is less enticing to cyano somehow (I have no clue as to how this is but haven't done much reading into this except for Dr. Jauberts note from macna).

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what is your alk? Dr. Jean Jaubert noted that having a higher alk is less enticing to cyano somehow (I have no clue as to how this is but haven't done much reading into this except for Dr. Jauberts note from macna).
Mine is at 8.2dkh

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having nitrate a little higher, maybe dosing something like ecobalance, and using chemiclean will be good.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flow is always helpful. Maybe adding some other bacteria source? IME cyano usually self-corrects if I'm keeping up on my maintenance and not leaving my nutrients at zero.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with Reef Cyano RX - 48 hours all gone!

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano is getting hit with flow in the area. Rest of the tank is fine
721A1082-2873-40EE-BBE6-5D46C564B2E9.jpeg
I have the same thing on my wand bed. it disappears at night and returns the next morning. Could it be the same?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTEty="Dub, post: 7714217, member: 128402"]
I have the same thing on my wand bed. it disappears at night and returns the next morning. Could it be the same?
[/QUOTE]
Probably, if its the same red color. Are you saying that you are stirring it away and its reapearing

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTEty="Dub, post: 7714217, member: 128402"]
Probably, if its the same red color. Are you saying that you are stirring it away and its reapearing
[/QUOTE]
No it disappears and reappears daily without any action on my part

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting cyano in the same spots everyday. I will stir it away but it will return in a few hours only in the same spots. My phos is .07 and nitrate 3ppm. That area does not have a lot of sand. I will be changing my sandbed to a larger grain soon slowly

Well I differ from most people. I see people saying needs more flow - I disagree. Chemiclean works and it lasts, but it doesn't really address the issue. I've found that many times, these types of things lead to other problems down the road because the conditions that just caused them are still present. I've tried many methods/chemicals and such in the past.

My question to you is - how well does your protein skimmer work? Is it the right size? I say this because the main cause of cyano is high organic waste in the water combined with good lighting and some phosphates(which comes from teh organic waste eventually). And of course, a protein skimmer removes organic waste.

So yeah, high flow can make it go away, chemiclean can make it go away. But if it was me, I'd be looking at upsizing my skimmer and/or feeding less for a long term solution. In the short term, I would do water changes to get the phosphates and organics down in the water. Of course if you continue to feed at the same rate with the same sized skimmer, you are going to get the problem again and you'll just think the water changes were a waste. In which case, just use chemiclean and kick the can down the road to see what problem it gets replaced with(most likely lots of algae).

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 500G display is 15 years old with 50% sand bed cover ... I still get cyano ! Nowdays I just keep the P/N ratio in sync as best I can and leave nature to its ways.
Ya its prob my phos/nitrate ratio, i think im at around 5ppm now. Phos .07. Its slowly raising. My acans are really inflating now.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I differ from most people. I see people saying needs more flow - I disagree. Chemiclean works and it lasts, but it doesn't really address the issue. I've found that many times, these types of things lead to other problems down the road because the conditions that just caused them are still present. I've tried many methods/chemicals and such in the past.

My question to you is - how well does your protein skimmer work? Is it the right size? I say this because the main cause of cyano is high organic waste in the water combined with good lighting and some phosphates(which comes from teh organic waste eventually). And of course, a protein skimmer removes organic waste.

So yeah, high flow can make it go away, chemiclean can make it go away. But if it was me, I'd be looking at upsizing my skimmer and/or feeding less for a long term solution. In the short term, I would do water changes to get the phosphates and organics down in the water. Of course if you continue to feed at the same rate with the same sized skimmer, you are going to get the problem again and you'll just think the water changes were a waste. In which case, just use chemiclean and kick the can down the road to see what problem it gets replaced with(most likely lots of algae).
My skimmer is a eshops x120 running on roughly maybe 35g in total. Ive gotten it pretty well diled in. Thanks

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is a eshops x120 running on roughly maybe 35g in total. Ive gotten it pretty well diled in. Thanks

Tank size is irrelevant, bioload is what matters. You have a higher bioload than your skimmer can handle, and you have cyano as a result. Again, you can either feed less and reduce your bioload, you can upgrade your skimmer, or you can use something like chemiclean and kick it down the road to another problem later.

Good luck.

Kjeldh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Chemiclean with success for Cyano but within a few months the Cyano reappeared. What has been a longer term solution for me was a balancing 5-10ppm nitrates with phosphate around .05. Additionally, have used Dr.Tims Refresh bacteria.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting cyano in the same spots everyday. I will stir it away but it will return in a few hours only in the same spots. My phos is .07 and nitrate 3ppm. That area does not have a lot of sand. I will be changing my sandbed to a larger grain soon slowly
I just went thru this. Chemi Clean wiped it out in two days. Works every time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back