Cyano or coralline?

Chinook on a hook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having problems with my zoas. I had a real nice colony for a while then they started slowly dissapearing i thought nudibranchs because my palys were ok i waited 6 months put new zoas in there after dipping rock and poof 2 new frags melted. Im trying to figure out whats happening over here is this cyano or coralline?

Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 8
Phos .25
Calcium 480
Mag 1410
Alk 9.1
ph 7.9

Screenshot_20220711-010609_Gallery.jpg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are talking about the bright pink stuff it is coralline. What do you mean disappearing? Like the frags were? Is this live rock? There’s probably a hitchhiker moving or eating them. What’s in the tank? I need a little more background please!

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black stuff is either sponge or a different type (ugly) of coraline. If it’s coraline it’ll get outcompeted by the regular kind. If it’s sponge it might spread a little in the dark areas or just die off. I’ve had some of both and it just goes away. Some say that black sponges are bad but I can’t attest to it personally, I still have some in the dark recesses of my reef.

OP
OP
C

Chinook on a hook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the bright pink stuff it is coralline. What do you mean disappearing? Like the frags were? Is this live rock? There’s probably a hitchhiker moving or eating them. What’s in the tank? I need a little more background please!
55 gallon breeder tank with Sb reef light typically blue at 52% white at 56%. Two mp 40s one on left one on right on lagoon crest mode at 20 % Reef octopus protein skimmer, phosban media reactor with bio pellets, my overflow has carbon bags the water flows through to sump through filter pad then phosphate pad then bio balls into proten skimmer and media reactor section which overflows into the return pump area. As far as rock it's all live rock Coral is pretty much all LPS hammers frogspawn mushrooms Toadstool leather pipe organ xenia and zoas I also lost a chalice and favia the favia was killed by anemones as i notices they attached to it. I also have some anemones as far as fish I have Yellow Tail damsel blue-green chromis two clownfish a royal gamma blue spotted puffer (been watching him close never see him eat coral ive had him for 11 months) snowflake eel Fairy Wrasse coral beauty lawnmower blenny and golden head sleeper goby. I had three Emerald crabs that I banished to the sump because I saw them on top of zoas. About 20 hermit crabs or so all blue leg and scarlet cortez all small. Cerith snails turbo snails 3 conches and bumble bee snails plus i just found these baby snails i dont know what they are but heres a photo. I typically water change 25% once a week but had a 2 month period where i couldnt give the tank my full attention (shame on me I know) had nitrates go up to 80 ppm and phosphate at 3 but since have slowly dropped nitrate to around a consistent 8 and phosphate still dropping and at .25 when I put the zoas in I dipped them. I dried the Rock and glued them to the Rock the lfs they came from was running 150 par i have them closer to 100 but turned the light down for the first 2 days until they started melting and had low to moderate flow. The fire and ice frag melted within days and eagle eye slowly melted within 2 weeks. The fruit loops were doing well but after loosing 2 I decided not to chance it and re dipped the rock and also dipped 50 50 hydrogen peroxide. They are still kicking but half closed up for a day or 2. Attached is a photo of the areas of my tank showing par with the area i added zoas to circled, the photo is old so there are different corals and pumps in there and 2 anemones were removed.

Screenshot_20220711-011328_Photos.jpg 20210724_002917~2.jpg

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon breeder tank with Sb reef light typically blue at 52% white at 56%. Two mp 40s one on left one on right on lagoon crest mode at 20 % Reef octopus protein skimmer, phosban media reactor with bio pellets, my overflow has carbon bags the water flows through to sump through filter pad then phosphate pad then bio balls into proten skimmer and media reactor section which overflows into the return pump area. As far as rock it's all live rock Coral is pretty much all LPS hammers frogspawn mushrooms Toadstool leather pipe organ xenia and zoas I also lost a chalice and favia the favia was killed by anemones as i notices they attached to it. I also have some anemones as far as fish I have Yellow Tail damsel blue-green chromis two clownfish a royal gamma blue spotted puffer (been watching him close never see him eat coral ive had him for 11 months) snowflake eel Fairy Wrasse coral beauty lawnmower blenny and golden head sleeper goby. I had three Emerald crabs that I banished to the sump because I saw them on top of zoas. About 20 hermit crabs or so all blue leg and scarlet cortez all small. Cerith snails turbo snails 3 conches and bumble bee snails plus i just found these baby snails i dont know what they are but heres a photo. I typically water change 25% once a week but had a 2 month period where i couldnt give the tank my full attention (shame on me I know) had nitrates go up to 80 ppm and phosphate at 3 but since have slowly dropped nitrate to around a consistent 8 and phosphate still dropping and at .25 when I put the zoas in I dipped them. I dried the Rock and glued them to the Rock the lfs they came from was running 150 par i have them closer to 100 but turned the light down for the first 2 days until they started melting and had low to moderate flow. The fire and ice frag melted within days and eagle eye slowly melted within 2 weeks. The fruit loops were doing well but after loosing 2 I decided not to chance it and re dipped the rock and also dipped 50 50 hydrogen peroxide. They are still kicking but half closed up for a day or 2. Attached is a photo of the areas of my tank showing par with the area i added zoas to circled, the photo is old so there are different corals and pumps in there and 2 anemones were removed.

Screenshot_20220711-011328_Photos.jpg 20210724_002917~2.jpg

First, that is really hard to read. Laying out the information in an easy to read format will help with the responses.

What are your current water parameters?

What are you dipping these frags in? I never dip frags unless I see pests on them. It is stressful for the frag, and the frag is probably already stress from shipping and a new tank.

Zoa's do well in medium or higher flow. They also can take a lot more light than 100 PAR.

OP
OP
C

Chinook on a hook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, that is really hard to read. Laying out the information in an easy to read format will help with the responses.

What are your current water parameters?

What are you dipping these frags in? I never dip frags unless I see pests on them. It is stressful for the frag, and the frag is probably already stress from shipping and a new tank.

Zoa's do well in medium or higher flow. They also can take a lot more light than 100 PAR.
Parameters are in the first post on this thread. But here they are as follows as well.

I dip in revive and if i have to 50% peroxide 50% r.o.

Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 8
Phos .25
Calcium 480
Mag 1410
Alk 9.1
ph 7.9

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back