Cyano? Or Dino?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2/5

This stuff unfortunately has completely covered sand bed and spreading onto rockwork and coral at an alarming rate. After close to 4 months of testing and almost daily sanbed siphoning...multiple blackouts...uv..h202 dosing..not ONE single sighn of this slowing down if not it spreads even faster. I'm finally decided to throw in the towel. I can no longer spend an hour a day working on this tank. I want to thank everyone for giving me input and spending time trying to help.
@NickyReefs, just wondering if you have tried BOYD's ChemiClean?

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get a microscope or send a sample in to id it?

No sorry, decided not to dump anymore money in time into the tank. I've already treated the tank for every type of dinos/cyano to not have a single bit of change, In my opinion is only spreading faster. I have a family and it's not fair to them I'm spending almost an hour almost daily with this for months and this is no longer fun for me. Me and my wife are extremely disappointed with this as this was a hobby we both enjoyed. As of this morning the stuff is spreading so fast you can almost watch it. Lighting still only on 50% blue for 4 hours a day. We did out final nutrient check this morning and we are still sitting perfectly at no3 9 and p04 0.07, this is not a nutrient issue, UV did nothing, h202 did nothing. Redslime did nothing, dinox did nothing, blackouts did nothing, tons of dosed bacteria. All these things we did overtime and presicily. Really sad to say but we are done trying and spending tons of money and time for nothing to swing in our favor.

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sorry, decided not to dump anymore money in time into the tank. I've already treated the tank for every type of dinos/cyano to not have a single bit of change, In my opinion is only spreading faster. I have a family and it's not fair to them I'm spending almost an hour almost daily with this for months and this is no longer fun for me. Me and my wife are extremely disappointed with this as this was a hobby we both enjoyed. As of this morning the stuff is spreading so fast you can almost watch it. Lighting still only on 50% blue for 4 hours a day. We did out final nutrient check this morning and we are still sitting perfectly at no3 9 and p04 0.07, this is not a nutrient issue, UV did nothing, h202 did nothing. Redslime did nothing, dinox did nothing, blackouts did nothing, tons of dosed bacteria. All these things we did overtime and presicily. Really sad to say but we are done trying and spending tons of money and time for nothing to swing in our favor.
No problem, tough choice I’m sure. Sorry it didn’t pan out that’s frustrating for sure

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through the whole thread. Rough ride you've had @NickyReefs. It really sucks to see the struggles you've been through.

I'm in a similar "it's everywhere" type of situation with cyano, dinos, and GHA running rampant. I do have a microscope though and have ID'd my dinos. I think that's one really positive part and 'hopeful' step - I now know a bit of what I'm fighting.

It's a bummer we're losing yet another reefer to the algae/bacteria battle. Good luck in your future hobbies.

Last edited:

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used RedSlime remover, things felt as if they got worse.

Also used Dino-x wich also seemed to make things worse.
Just sharing that Chemiclean worked for me... and a UV set to go along will definitely help.... why dont you give it a try.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing that Chemiclean worked for me... and a UV set to go along will definitely help.... why dont you give it a try.

UV has been up and running for months.. I've already tried redslime and dinox I can't see any reason chemiclean would be much of a diffrence as i don't belive this is cyano. As of today cannot see any of the sandbed., the brown slime is cover maybe 10% of my rock long brown strands all over my corals and starting to form on my gyres. Can physically see strands of the brown slime in water colom just crashing into diffrent things and getting stuck. Some dead snails and hermits around the tank. Absolutely horrified by this. It's just soo agressive. Just keeping fish alive untill I'm able to remove. Will not be returning to this hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back