Cyano or Dino

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a microscope, I could ask around for someone nearby who does
I highly recommend one as part of your reef equipment. A wrong identification can lead to a lot of misery. A basic school science microscope will do and won't break the bank. Given the investment in corals and that you can lose them, it well worth it to be sure with what you are dealing. Read the Dino thread, meanwhile. There are some ways to rule in and out certain strains of Dinos. I thought I was dealing with cyano (and I'm sure there was some) but I bottomed out my nutrients and that stressed the corals and fueled a 2 year battle with Dinos which resulted in a tank tear down and redo. Had I only gotten a microscope and posted in the Dino thread to begin with, likely I would have saved a mortgage payment or two in replacing corals not to mention the depression with a sickly tank.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for posting this thread. I've learned a lot! I'm dealing with a similar thing and have a microscopeto check. May have to try this out and see what I have here.

Reading through the whole thread, mine clumps when vacuuming, bubbles up, disappears at night, and my nitrates are below 4. I think they're above 2. I'm using a Red Sea titration test.

This is interesting. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220201_171008.jpg
    20220201_171008.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220201_171017.jpg
    20220201_171017.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 18

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back