Cyano or Pink Slime?

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to figure this out for a bit. I've been told just to brush it off gently but it doesn't really seem to come off (or I'm being too gentle).

Is this cyano or possibly pink slime from the toadstool? It started up with him and now it's on the zoas. I don't see it anywhere else. I knocked my lights down to more blue/purple and closed the nearby window today to see if that will help.

Any advice, guidance for how to get rid of it (if it's bad at least) is greatly appreciated!
20221127_122918.jpg

My phosphate is high and we added some RowaPhos (though calculations were off and we do need to add more). Nitrates are at 33 so a little high as well. Everything else tests good though.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sponge and likely choking them out. Expose coral to air or inject with air or vinegar to stop its growth and deflate it
I wasn't sure how long they could be in the air... I pulled up the rock and tried seeing if I could peel it off or anything - it deflates but seems stuck. I notice it's all over the rock though. This is behind the toadstool.. after poking at it, I sat the rock in a separate container of tank water just incase I could rinse any of it off... parts not on a coral I did scrub more. Any other recommendations or since it was in the air should it die back now??
20221127_161646.jpg

Thank you @taricha @Sailaway and @vetteguy53081

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wasn't sure how long they could be in the air... I pulled up the rock and tried seeing if I could peel it off or anything - it deflates but seems stuck. I notice it's all over the rock though. This is behind the toadstool.. after poking at it, I sat the rock in a separate container of tank water just incase I could rinse any of it off... parts not on a coral I did scrub more. Any other recommendations or since it was in the air should it die back now??
20221127_161646.jpg

Thank you @taricha @Sailaway and @vetteguy53081
You can place in a container of tank water and Gently pull off with a dental pick or small crochet needle. Rinse well in the water and return to tank

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a good candidate for a peroxide dip here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a good candidate for a peroxide dip here.
I dipped the corals before they were originally added but I've never done a peroxide dip. I'll have to research that some. Thanks.

The zoas looked happier today so picking at the stuff seems to have helped some at least.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back