Cyano

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way you guys get rid of cyano i have been batteling it for just over a month now i do a 20% water change weekly

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow it off the rocks, vacuum it out.
More flow, or better directional flow
3 day lights out

tearlessnikon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral in my tank and a while ago I had cyano I did a big water change clicked the lights of for 3 days and it went away...but you also have to find out whats causing it and fix the problem. .for me it was over feeding

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 day lights out has been done many many times, it will not harm the corals.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 day lights out has been done many many times, it will not harm the corals.
+1 but you have to figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from. Check your nitrates and phosphates and be carefull and don;t overfeed.

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock came from my old nano tank i was away for a week and my house mate said he was feeding the fish and turning the lights off turns out the lights were left on 24/7 and he fed them once i got back most corals were dead and tge tank was covered in cyano i scubbed most of it off before adding it to this tank but i think some stayed on i feel like i dont feed enough i put a little pinch of food in at night thats it and feed mysis every second day

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously you are lucky if the cyano is disappearing that fast. Mine has taken the better part of a year to abate. I am keeping an eye on the hair algae tho because if I am just exchanging one for the other then I probably haven't impacted the underlying nutrient issue. I have no idea what conditions would have to change to favor hair algae over cyano, but they both need the same nutrients I think. It should be easier to find animals to eat the HA, but I don't believe that will fix a serious outbreak.

I am working under the assumption that phosphate is leaching from my rock because I converted a very dirty softy reef into an sps reef without changing it out. I also feed good quality non-flake food sparingly to a minimal fish population and have a good water purification system giving me 0 tds output, but my phosphates remain borderline to high even running gfo. You could have a similar issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm just trying to keep up the water changes I attached a razor blade to my siphon and sucked out as much algae as I could

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back