Cyanobacteria concern

xXPoseidonXx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby. I tried to do research, but cannot identify if my tank is in bad shape. Here's a quick timeliness of my experience.

Purchased tank, along with boxed premade saltwater, a bag of sand that contains beneficial bacteria, 2 life rocks, filter, skimmer, heater and wave pump.

Against all recommendations, after 2 days of cycling, I added 2 clownfish. 2 days after that I added a hermit crab, tiger conch snail and cleaner shrimp. I know this is not ideal at all.

I have been testing the conditions daily, and controlling ammonia spike with water changes. My ammonia never got above 2ppm before the nitrifying batlcteria started working well.

The ammonia level has now stabilized at almost zero, however the nitrite and nitrate levels have spiked. (ALOT). I have managed to keep under control with x2 30% water changes a week.

I am 3 weeks into it now, and I noticed orangeish/red spots forming on my life rocks about 3 days ago. Within 3 days it has spread through my entire tank, all over the sand, all over the rocks. At first I was convinced this was coralline. But now I am concerned this is cyanobacteria. See the pic.

I am looking for someone to help guide me in the right direction on what to do next. This site seems to have a bunch of great passionate hobbiest/professionals I can learn alot from.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this post. I am genuinely grateful.

20231130_153534.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of looks like diatoms. Nothing really to do, its part of the normal maturing process.
The tank needs much more rock for your animals to have hiding spaces, and for bacteria to grow.
Needs powerheads in the tank to create flow, and agitate the water surface to oxygenate the water.
And please stop adding livestock until the tank is cycled, its cruel to the animals.

Last edited:

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like diatoms. Patient and time is on your side with these algea

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is your tank trying to start an ecosystem. It will need time. It will need you to let it do it's thing. The more than you interfere, the more that actual progress will be set back.

This is all normal.

Keep that shrimp and those sand eaters fed and let the tank work.

If you end up with dinos or nasty hair on those rocks, then you might need to intervene, but not before that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back