Cycle about done - What to add

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new 90G reef is about done with cycling - all new LR and sand. I am planning to move the corals, snails, crabs and 2 clowns to the tank in a week or so from the existing tank we are tearing down. Besides ordering a larger clean up crew what else if anything should be added? Since its the new has all new contents and not planning to take sand/LR from the old tank what would be a good way to seed this LR. The last tank we never seeded and I am not sure there is any life other than the algae on the rock anyways.

I will have a refugium in the sump as well and plan to run Chaeto in there and maybe sand or Reef /Miracle Mud. When would I start that up?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you used dead rock in the new build. I would move over the rock from your old tank.

Some can go into the tank and some into the sump. There may not be a lot of biodiversity, but there is enough mature bacteria to support your smaller reef. Why would you not use it?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock in the existing tank is covered in hair algae and some bubble algae. Do not want to bring that mess over.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the reason that thread is helpful: predicts the types of uglies you will see among your corals. that is a living reef changed to a full dry start reef, worth thousands of bucks and all huge corals we didn't want to kill

my concern in the thread was more the fact that reef water has transmissible cycling bacteria (contrasted to youtube videos from macna saying it doesnt)

his overall scope in the thread is the macro view of what moving to an all dry but cycled scape will do in most tanks.

you get to see his anticipations, tank surprises etc of such a scape changeout.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs and fox face will eat bubble algae. Fox face, tangs and snails for the hair algae.

I would expect a bigger mess if you don’t move over the rock.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emeralds and snails now - they dont touch the hair algae.

I have scrubbed the rock and the algae grows right back. I have gone through testing - PO4 = 0 - I know its used in the algae, Nitrate is between 25-50.

I guerss I can scrub some of the LR and out it in the sump with no light for now. Would that cause more die off and make more of a mess?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emeralds and snails now - they dont touch the hair algae.

I have scrubbed the rock and the algae grows right back. I have gone through testing - PO4 = 0 - I know its used in the algae, Nitrate is between 25-50.

I guerss I can scrub some of the LR and out it in the sump with no light for now. Would that cause more die off and make more of a mess?
Shouldn’t be an issue, more snails and maybe some urchins will help. Tangs will also make a difference if you don’t feed them too much.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would move the rock over with all the algae all over it? then I am not sure what to do - I dont have room for the old rock in the display tank as its all new rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could move a few pieces of rock that have been under the other rocks and are therefore not covered in algae. Those should still carry some of the spores of beneficial algaes, and will bring lots of bacteria.

Corals won't like being plonked into a newly cycled dry rock tank. They'll be stressed, and may outright die.

Hair algae is going to get into your tank no matter what you do, it hitchhikes on all sorts of things. The key is to not have conditions that favor it.

Back