Cycle finished but fish died?

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in process of setting up new tank. Live sand, dry rock, dr tims and microbacter 7. Next week will be 2 month mark, about a week or week and a half ago I reached 0 ammonia and waited for nitrites to go to 0 which was 2 days ago. Nitrates were present, I did about 40% water change, then I moved my clown from another tank and he seemed great for several hours. Got up this morning and he was dead ….
Any help on what happened?
I didn’t acclimate, but the salinity was identical and temp was within a degree between the 2 tanks.
Will having a lid deplete the oxygen in the water?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in process of setting up new tank. Live sand, dry rock, dr tims and microbacter 7. Next week will be 2 month mark, about a week or week and a half ago I reached 0 ammonia and waited for nitrites to go to 0 which was 2 days ago. Nitrates were present, I did about 40% water change, then I moved my clown from another tank and he seemed great for several hours. Got up this morning and he was dead ….
Any help on what happened?
I didn’t acclimate, but the salinity was identical and temp was within a degree between the 2 tanks.
Will having a lid deplete the oxygen in the water?
PH could have been different and that matters in acclimation.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I did not check ph in existing tank, new one is 7.8…. I will check to see how far off that may be… thanks

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After clown died, I moved a hermit and 3 nassarius snails into new tank. Snails died within a day and hermit died in about 2 days.

salinity 1.025 @ 80 deg, still have nitrates a little high

Can someone please give me a clue as to what might be wrong?
24B75B8C-9377-45C3-956F-8D756371FB42.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you test your water and give us a reading Ph /ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrate . Salinity and what water are u using rodi or tap any dosing of any kind .what make of test kit are you using

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you test your water and give us a reading Ph /ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrate . Salinity and what water are u using rodi or tap any dosing of any kind .
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate +/- 20
1.025@80 deg and 5 stage rodi

I used dr tims, microbacter 7, and pods from algae barn and been feeding phyto

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate +/- 20
1.025@80 deg and 5 stage rodi

I used dr tims, microbacter 7, and pods from algae barn and been feeding phyto
Have you added anything to the tank. What test kit are u using

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the tank
Added?
Nothing is in it now. Clown, snails, and hermit have died. Scared to try anything else till I figure out what might be wrong.
I’m was guessing maybe not acclimating the clown killed it, but then I added the hermit and snails and they died also

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added?
Nothing is in it now. Clown, snails, and hermit have died. Scared to try anything else till I figure out what might be wrong.
I’m was guessing maybe not acclimating the clown killed it, but then I added the hermit and snails and they died also
No other products added to your water . This only my opinion. I drip all fish . As spy c says check for stray voltage. And also what test kit are you using one product in particular gives false readings what do u use

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other products added to your water . This only my opinion. I drip all fish . As spy c says check for stray voltage. And also what test kit are you using one product in particular gives false readings what do u use
I didn’t acclimate since I was simply moving tanks and the salinity, temp and ph matched. But when I tried the snails and crab and they died also, I’m worried!!
I’m using a Hannah salinity checker, and was using an api for cycling purposes and had very consistent results following directions to a T. Used the other tank to verify testing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added?

the clown did not die from acclimation. If salinity and temp match, in it can go.

Did you previously clean the tank with anything before use? Was the rock purchased new?

Just trying to think of a potential contaminate, soap, bug spray, etc depending what was cleaned and how rock was stored, and so on.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clown did not die from acclimation. If salinity and temp match, in it can go.

Did you previously clean the tank with anything before use? Was the rock purchased new?

Just trying to think of a potential contaminate, soap, bug spray, etc depending what was cleaned and how rock was stored, and so on.
I used dry rock and super glue, I did use some acetone as an accelerator but it evaporates fast.
Only other thing, I sprayed just a touch off glass cleaner on a rag way away from tank and then just cleaned the outside of the glass with it

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ph is a little low but not too kill a clownfish and some snails. As new as your rocks look you may not have much algae for the snails and hermits to eat. How old is your ro/di? Maybe some of the stages need replacing?

How old is your api test kit? If you used it for your first tank and havent used it in a long time may have expired and giving you false ammonia readings. This really sounds like high ammonia to me to be honest.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ph is a little low but not too kill a clownfish and some snails. As new as your rocks look you may not have much algae for the snails and hermits to eat. How old is your ro/di? Maybe some of the stages need replacing?

How old is your api test kit? If you used it for your first tank and havent used it in a long time may have expired and giving you false ammonia readings. This really sounds like high ammonia to me to be honest.
This kit isn’t very old and also have a seachem ammonia badge I hung inside the tank. I had high ammonia readings for several weeks.
Waited a week shy of 2 months to add clown.
I’m 2 months in on cycling now.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge like bacterial bloom when I first started cycle from the microbacter 7 I presume. I put a whole bottle not realizing it wasn’t the one I intended.
It cleared up in several days

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else in the house who could have used a cleaning product nearby? Any spray-based air fresheners or whatnot in the room, maybe those little plug-in things?

I'd do a 100% water change, to start with, and watch to see if any algae starts growing.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else in the house who could have used a cleaning product nearby? Any spray-based air fresheners or whatnot in the room, maybe those little plug-in things?

I'd do a 100% water change, to start with, and watch to see if any algae starts growing.
652CC1F2-8778-47DE-A455-8965402DCDCD.jpeg

Could this be possible???

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back