Cycle finished but fish died?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the other tank is ok, I do not think it is this plug in stuff, though I never use them as both tanks would have been affected. I suspect it is a chemical, from the superglue, acetone or chemipure or from the tank itself, that poisoned your tank. I usually use a big chunk of water from my old tank when I set up a new tank, to keep the water very similar and reduce the acclimation shock. I have lids on my tank, I doubt that it causes a depletion of O2. You seem to have done things the right way so I lean toward a chimical in your new tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree.
I did manage to get her NOT to buy plug in type called plug-ins, those start fires. :(
Then she came home with these.... I have to pick my battles. LOL

I'm just saying I read all over the board, they will cause problems with a reef tank. Not in my case.
That wax melter things are not that bad, just fragrance in wax I think. The plug-ins, squirters, and vaporizers are nasty. All of these goofy people atomizing essential oils into the house are IMHO nuts or clueless. You have no idea what is in those oils or where they come from, no matter what the label says. There is very little real health or science backing any of it and many are def not pure and many essential oils are bad or deadly for pets. Why would anybody want that crap coating everything in their house?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree.
I did manage to get her NOT to buy plug in type called plug-ins, those start fires. :(
Then she came home with these.... I have to pick my battles. LOL

I'm just saying I read all over the board, they will cause problems with a reef tank. Not in my case.

I was more thinking about the implications of breathing that stuff in for me. :) I doubt it is well studied but I also doubt it is a positive thing for our bodies.. a two second google showed that lavender may be a hormone disrupter. I didn't look into it any further as breathing in that stuff isn't for me either way.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more thinking about the implications of breathing that stuff in for me. :) I doubt it is well studied but I also doubt it is a positive thing for our bodies.. a two second google showed that lavender may be a hormone disrupter. I didn't look into it any further as breathing in that stuff isn't for me either way.
Yeah but it is 'natural' so it must be good to huff...

We had a cleaning lady (only lasted a few weeks) that barely cleaned, but went around to every room practically emptying a full can glade air freshener every visit and sprinkling carpet fresh in the carpeted rooms. I had to demand her to stop and she still would sneak it in. NUTS

Anyway back to the thread - The ammonia is either through the roof or there is something terribly wrong with oxygen levels. I don't suspect current in the tank, but that could be easily checked with a volt meter.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but it is 'natural' so it must be good to huff...

We had a cleaning lady (only lasted a few weeks) that barely cleaned, but went around to every room practically emptying a full can glade air freshener every visit and sprinkling carpet fresh in the carpeted rooms. I had to demand her to stop and she still would sneak it in. NUTS

Anyway back to the thread - The ammonia is either through the roof or there is something terribly wrong with oxygen levels. I don't suspect current in the tank, but that could be easily checked with a volt meter.

Oh man, I would be so ticked off about that. I used to have an asthmatic cat and anything like that would have caused him to start wheezing.

Ya the 'natural' thing is a bit silly... many things are natural but potentially harmful. Mother nature isn't exactly kind.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. There are streams that naturally run with dilute sulfuric acid, deadly nightshade is natural, and asbestos comes out of the ground in lethal form. "Natural" means very, very little when it comes to whether or not something is good for you.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time doing dry rock and all glues and such I used are what everyone else uses. I did a 40% water change before I added fish. But if it is some kind of chemical contamination, and if I do a 100% water change:
- will that get rid of the issue?
-will it affect the coraline algae I added?
- do you think the pods are still alive and if so will complete water change affect them?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time doing dry rock and all glues and such I used are what everyone else uses. I did a 40% water change before I added fish. But if it is some kind of chemical contamination, and if I do a 100% water change:
- will that get rid of the issue?
-will it affect the coraline algae I added?
- do you think the pods are still alive and if so will complete water change affect them?
A few things
Adding coraline is kinda of pointless. It comes on its own with just about anything live.

It is possible that if your change water had ammonia or other organics that quickly spiked ammonia or oxygen depletion (bacterial bloom) - did you test it?

Sorry again- what size tank, how much rock and how deep is the sand?

How long was it mixed before adding it and the livestock?

Was it aerated or just mixed and dumped?

I am guessing (as I mentioned before) you may have an oxygen issue caused by one or more things going on.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things
Adding coraline is kinda of pointless. It comes on its own with just about anything live.

It is possible that if your change water had ammonia or other organics that quickly spiked ammonia - did you test it?

I am guessing (as I mentioned before) you have an oxygen issue.
I had a pump and heater in it for 24 hrs prior.
tropic Marin symbiotic salt
Would lid be an issue, I know others have lids without problems

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things

It is possible that if your change water had ammonia or other organics that quickly spiked ammonia - did you test it?

I am guessing (as I mentioned before) you have an oxygen issue.
I had a pump and heater in it for 24 hrs prior.
tropic Marin symbiotic salt
Would lid be an issue, I know others have lids without problems

5 stage rodi

Last edited:

furface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just get an icp test done before adding anything else. Clowns are nearly bullet proof so if it killed it that quickly it is obviously a huge problem to marine life. It could literally be anything.

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna ask why here? I always start skimming new tank to skim out contaminates from brand new products like pumps heater the tank itself before adding anything.
Didn’t think it would be needed until inhabitants pollute the water more than the natural bio filtration can clean

OP
OP
B

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just get an icp test done before adding anything else. Clowns are nearly bullet proof so if it killed it that quickly it is obviously a huge problem to marine life. It could literally be anything.
I’m agreeing with this !!!

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t think it would be needed until inhabitants pollute the water more than the natural bio filtration can clean
Ya skimmer gets more than just fish poo and rotten food. takes out contaminants too. Ever notice if you use epoxy you skimmer goes nuts. Taking out the junk. Pretty much goes wild if it senses anything not just good clean salt water baby. Set it up and get er rockin.

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya skimmer gets more than just fish poo and rotten food. takes out contaminants too. Ever notice if you use epoxy you skimmer goes nuts. Taking out the junk. Pretty much goes wild if it senses anything not just good clean salt water baby. Set it up and get er rockin.
This is great advice. My skimmer went nuts when I accidentally forgot to dip a coral back in clean saltwater after I used coral RX.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back