Cycle question..... Yup another one

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys need help on this one.

Just did a water test, the tank has been running since last Wednesday so it's been a full week. using a RSM test kit this is what I got.
Ph 8.4
Alk 1.7-2.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Even when I 1st setup my RSM I had some ammonia/trates/trites but I got nothing. I put a cube of mysis and rdf in the tank 5 days ago to rot, but still got flat zeroes.

Built the tank with 140lbs of new livesand, 40lbs of live rock and 40lbs of dead/dry rock.

What should I do wait some more? Start adding CUC?

Also I'm getting some spots of cyano blooming.

I also put another cube of mysis in today.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it has not been nearly long enough. Cycle typically takes 6 weeks on average, and you don't have enough cured LR in there to have fully cycled the tank already. Faster cycles do occur, but they take about a pound of cured LR per gallon of water. Personally I would add some more organics to the tank and wait a week to see what happens. If you're starting to see cyano, you're probably just breaking into your cycle. Just my $.02 worth.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k..

not i'm not disagreeing with you.. but from what i understand in the past is that when you see the cyano the cycle is done or finishing..

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't rush into anything either....it's always better to take things slow. Also is your alkalinity a little low?? Any calcium measurement?

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i didnt do a calcium test.. but i do have my reactor running..

i was going to wait until i add some corals in... right now i'm running a bubble every 5 sec..

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k..

not i'm not disagreeing with you.. but from what i understand in the past is that when you see the cyano the cycle is done or finishing..

Is it cyano or diatoms? I've never heard that cyano indicates the end of a cycle, but regardless they can be easily confused. You'll usually see a diatom bloom at the start of your cycle. How large of a tank is it? If you only added a small amount of organics compared to water volume, it may have been handled quiclkly through filtration and the live sand/rock. I would add a few pieces of krill and play the waiting game

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cyano or diatoms? I've never heard that cyano indicates the end of a cycle, but regardless they can be easily confused. You'll usually see a diatom bloom at the start of your cycle. How large of a tank is it? If you only added a small amount of organics compared to water volume, it may have been handled quiclkly through filtration and the live sand/rock. I would add a few pieces of krill and play the waiting game

sorry its diatoms.. i got it mixed up (had to do a quick google).. its a 120g..

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry its diatoms.. i got it mixed up.. its a 120g..

I'd wait it out then. Diatoms will usually show up at the beginning of the cycle, so I'd add some more organics to jump start the cycle and then sit back and wait. WIth that large of a water volume and the live rock you added, your biological filtration probably kept up with the decomp. You may want to try some raw shrimp from the supermarket. THey're nice and big and you'll have some leftover for you while you wait! WIN WIN!

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also contacted the seller i got the LR from and gonna get 40lbs more on friday..

guess i'll have to put in 2 pieces of shrimp..

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the Live Rock has been doing its job.. despite how many times i tried shocking the system held constantly at 0 bad stuff...

tomm i'll be transferring my RSM

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast cycles do happen. Have the diatoms gone away from last week? I'd go real slow with the live stock on a quick cycle.

Where did you get your rock. ;)

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast cycles do happen. Have the diatoms gone away from last week? I'd go real slow with the live stock on a quick cycle.

Where did you get your rock. ;)

The diatoms didn't really go away, didn't have a clean up crew at the tim it just stopped growing/spreading.
Got the rock from a fellow reefer, he had them cooking in a rubber made tub for a long while

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms didn't really go away, didn't have a clean up crew at the tim it just stopped growing/spreading.
Got the rock from a fellow reefer, he had them cooking in a rubber made tub for a long while

If the live rock was already cured you will not see a cycle. The diatoms are probsbly from new plastic in the water which added silicates. I would say it is safe to add a CuC and a fish.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back