Cycle question

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. New to saltwater and I have a question about my cycle. First I apologize if this is in the wrong section. If it is can a mod please move it to the correct section.
I started with dry mined rock in a Rubbermaid trash bin. Salinity was 1.025, ph 8.2 alk at 12dkh. Dosed it to 2ppm ammonia and let it sit with a heater and powerhead for 2 weeks while I got my 75g tank and 55gal sump setup and ready. I also dosed with microbactor 7. Moved the rocks and water into my tank 6 days ago, and used 80lbs of arag-alive bahamas oolite sand and dosed it back to 2ppm ammonia. 2 days later ammonia was down to .25ppm but nitrites and nitrates were off the charts. Did a 30% water change. Waited an hour and retested and they were both extremely high. I mixed more saltwater and did another 30% water change last night. Tested this morning and nitrates are still high, around 5ppm and nitrates are 20ppm. Should i do another water change or wait and see if nitrites go down? Ammonia is also gone. Should I add alittle more to keep the bacteria alive?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank likely needs more time to cycle. I would hold off on water changes until your cycle is complete (as it's unnecessary), but that's your choice. Your nitrate levels may be erroneous, given the presence of nitrite in the water (5ppm). Therefore, I would give your tank more time to continue to grow the nitrifying bacterial population. At this point, you can continue to monitor your tank and test your parameters. The usual test is to see that you can process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. I wouldn't worry about your nitrates at the moment.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen it yet, I would check out this video- it's well worth the watch about bacteria and cycling (since you already picked up on the effect of nitrite on cycling). :) The whole video is amazing, but the explanation of the nitrite phenomenon you are alluding to is around the 17 minute mark.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are cycled. Ignore that 0.25 ammonia false positive on the API test. I'd do a big water change and start stocking.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are cycled. Ignore that 0.25 ammonia false positive on the API test. I'd do a big water change and start stocking.
It's possible that they are cycled, but most look for the conversion of ammonia in under 24 hours, not 48 hours as the OP used as their benchmark.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again this morning and now its showing. .5ppm ammonia, 2ppm nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. Not sure why there would be an increase in ammonia. Sould adding some bottled bacteria help? Only have instant ocean bio-spira and nite out II at my lfs. Ordered some chaeto and it arrived sooner than expected so I do have some in my refugium. About 3 cups in size.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of possibilities in this case that could explain the ammonia- I'd be more than happy to go into them, but I suspect you are more concerned on when your tank will cycle :) In any event, your cycle is clearly not complete and it is a good thing that you continued to test- imagine if you had started blindly stocking with ammonia producing fish! At this point, you could continue to give it more time/continue following the instructions for dosing microbacter 7 or you could try and speed the cycle along either with the addition of a different bacterial product or the addition of live rock- it largely comes down to personal preferences, time, and cost. Presently, your tank is on track for what I would expect. If you would like product suggestions for what would speed things up, many find Fritz Turbostart or Biospira to be effective if time is of the essence.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I tend to be alittle impatient at times but I know I can't rush it or any new livestock will die. And I think i figured out the ammonia. Took the filter sock out and there was fish flakes in it. Guessing my daughter though it would be fun to feed the tank while we were feeding my freshwater fish last night.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again after I got home a little bit ago and ammonia is completely gone. Nitrite is still a dark purple. Going to pick up a salifert Nitrite and nitrate test kit tomorrow and leave the api for my freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, instead of trying to dose another bacteria in a bottle, would adding a medium live rock from petco be beneficial? Would end up being about the same price as getting one of the bottles.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be beneficial - yes (assuming you don't import any bad hitchhikers on the rock and the rock isn't relatively new itself). It will likely add more biological diversity to your current aquarium, but the big tradeoff is to make sure the rock comes from a trustworthy source and you are not importing anything bad (aiptasia, bubble algae, mojanos, flatworms, bryopsis, etc.)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it depends on the petco. As with any saltwater store, it's not just what comes in on the piece, but what was in that tank before (and what is located in other tanks that are plumbed into the same tank). That's why I usually wouldn't suggest someone pick out live rock unless they know how to judge the rock and how to spot common pests/issues. If you have the opportunity, I'm a big fan of finding a trustworthy hobbyist or one of the better LFS (if there is one in your area) as they can usually help identify issues and have the experience to know the difference between a ball anemone vs. an aiptasia. Unfortunately, much like buying fish, coral, or anything wet, you can never be guaranteed to not introduce something into your tank, but you can take various steps to try and reduce the risk of anything bad (or use a very different reefing philosophy altogether ;)).

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Unfortunately petco is the only local place thats close that has live rock. There is one pet store where I get most of my supplies but they won't sale their live rock. There is a marine store about an hour and a half away but their only open for a few hours a day and its hard to get there during the day. May just have to let the cycle run its course. No matter how hard thats going to be lol.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 of the 3oz bottles of bio-spira 2 days ago. Still sitting at 0 ammonia and about 4ppm nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. Guy at a different lfs was trying to talk me into a dry bacteria from aquatop. Never heard of it and didn't see anything online about it so I passed. I did order a 32oz bottle of fritzZyme 9 that will be here next Tuesday. Might add 1‐2ppm ammonia to keep the bacteria i have from going dormant or dying off

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the nitrites started dropping quick over the weekend and have 0 nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. I do have the red sea care test kit thats out for delivery and will test it with that. If its the same going to pick up 2 black mollies this afternoon

Back